Author Topic: Beware!! - Bluetooth Worm  (Read 1618 times)

Offline duffy

Beware!! - Bluetooth Worm
« on: August 02, 2005, 12:52:14 PM »
Hi all,

Jill and I have left Fethiye on a teaching assignment in Salalah in Oman, but will be back.

Last night We were at the local Lebanese takeaway when my Nokia 6600 recieved three messages. They were titled "COMMWARRIOR" with numbers after each title. Absentmindedly I opened them, seeing nothing of interest I wiped them off. Later on in the evening I happened to glance at the phone and saw that it was trying to send a message.
I hadn't written one and when I opened it, on the details page I found that it was trying to send an MMS message entitled "Virtual Sex"! to one of my friends mobile number, I immediately checked the Applications Manager folder and there was the "Commwarrior" folder. I tried to get rid of it but to no avail. Next day I logged onto the web and did a search on the name.

It seems that some nerdy geek in Russia has developed and spread a "worm" type virus written expressly for the Nokia range of mobile phones. Talking to friends I discovered that it is spreading round the world quite quickly.

So my warning to those of you who have a Bluetooth enable phone - keep the Bluetooth setting turned off unless you are actually using it with another source that you know to be secure.

If you are unfortunate to get this worm, there is hope. Log onto the following site, it has an anti virus/worm programme that once loaded, immediately deletes the problem. I have done and it works, in fact I'm leaving it on the phone, just in case.  ;)

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/commwarrior.shtml

Regards to all from someone now in a "Dry" state, No Efes, No Raki and even worse - No Wine!! :(

Duffy  8) 8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf