Author Topic: Celebrate Spring in Hisaronu & meet the Mayor  (Read 5096 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Celebrate Spring in Hisaronu & meet the Mayor
« on: March 25, 2010, 00:25:28 AM »
This Sunday 28th March in Hisaronu Car Park/Monday Market a celebration of the coming of Spring will take place.

Time 12 or 12.30 until 5ish

This may be an opportunity for local people to pass the time of day raising any burning issues they may have with memebers of the Council including the Mayor and his deputies!

Not en-masse or confrontational but very politely and with all due respect  :)

Offline cheers

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 00:36:33 AM »
Nice one Nichola!!

I think this could be an opening!!
A 'nice' quiet, 'polite' meeting!!
No pressure!!  Obviously he will be awaiting confrontation - don't give it to him!!
LET PEOPLES FEELINGS KNOWN WHEN 'ASKED' IN A SOLICITOUS MANNER!!

We do not want to undo everyones hard work over the last 2 weeks!!
 :)

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 04:07:06 AM »
maybe you should all dress up as dolphins

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 08:01:01 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by stuart

maybe you should all dress up as dolphins

In a concrete tank  (cardboard box painted grey,  not a real one:D)

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 10:59:51 AM »
i had better substantiate my comment before someone gets the hump!!
where i used to live in the uk a local environmental group had a meeting with the local council over a proposed development which amongst other things would have been detrimental to marine life.

they attended the meeting dressed as shrimps which was  the town motto also.

this attracted a whole pile of media attention which would otherwise have gone unnoticed.
embarrassed the council and the project was stopped.

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 11:04:39 AM »
The media can put a twist on the most well meaning of actions as seen in the television report at Calis saying the clean up was destruction of the homes for the turtles.Interviews with Turkish experts stating that it would the improve the breeding conditions for the turtles were ignored and not shown. I would have thought a turtle coming up the beach to lay eggs would be pleased to not have the remains of someones picnic to contend with!  I know that there is a view that Brits should mind their own business and not interfere in the business matters of this country. It is not our place to tell Turkey what to do. Bad manners are not going to gain the desired result so careful consideration of behaviour in public are a real must I would say.

We are not in Britain where our vote counts to a council. We can only hope that fellow Turks who are not in agreement with the dolphin pond will see that it would be an embarassment to the town.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 08:37:20 AM by Daffodil »

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 11:43:21 AM »
The Mayor and his council have built a beautiful football stadium in Ovacik,this could be a good place to promote for childrens holiday club activities.In Britain and on the continent there are a growing number of sports schools at weekends and holidays which are good profit making businesses and require very little capital outlay.What parent on holiday would not like a break from the children sometimes? Or parents could join in too.The pool for the dolphins would easily be converted to a pool for adults and childrens water play area. There are endless opportunities for walking most of the year around Fethiye and a bowls green could easily be accommodated in Hisaronu or Ovacik. The area is a prime place for sports activity tourism for all ages and nationalities so why do we need a dolphinarium?

I hope that some enterprising business man spots this and makes a good profit promoting these sort of activities and not a dolphinarium.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 13:54:41 PM by Daffodil »

Offline Judith

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 07:48:58 AM »
as suggested on face book, I will be there in Black,we must not upset anyone and undo the good work that has been done,but at least we will be recognisable if anyone would like to say hello

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 11:12:11 AM »
I doubt wearing black will have much effect on the mayor. You are dealing with a man who considers keeping two dolphins in a small concrete pool to be no different to having a dog at home. Good luck though.

Offline Judith

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 15:27:35 PM »
Yes, I went dressed in some black and had the good fortune to be personally introduced to the mayor. he has asked me to come to his office for a meeting which I will do,
Also the local television was there and kindly let me be interviewed and this will be on Turkish television tonight at 7 pm
I did not discuss the cruelty aspect but focused on the bad reputaion that will be generated and the effect on tourism and world opinion.  
I mentioned the international protestations on the internet and how Hisaonu would be better served with an indoor pool or childrens playground,
Will keep on posting any further developments.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf