Author Topic: Winds of change for Hisaronu  (Read 20893 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Winds of change for Hisaronu
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 10:36:06 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by heather07

We stayed in a hotel in Hisaronu for five years but got fed up because the rooms went downhill.

That's what happens to buildings on a mountain when Hanel Houses are involved.  ;)

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 10:46:50 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by loz

We stayed up the mountain for 2 nights last month, Gordon loves Hisaronu, the noise the nightlife, bars the lot! me I don't mind it during the day but night time it is all my nightmares comes true! but how could I resist B&B 2 night for £6 total?  

You will probably think we are mad but we payed £326 + flights for 9 nights. Before it was refurbished we were £126.  We are getting older and want to be comfortable. Rooms are great, food is great, all freshly prepared  and NOT overpriced and entertainment is there to take or leave.  Suits us.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 11:17:49 AM »
Couldn't disagree more with the sweeping generalisations and highly partial views being expressed here - and LOL even by people who have never tried Hisaranu:D.  There are good and there are bad things to be said about the English Village, but certainly it is not all bad.

There are some of the best restaurants in the Fethiye area, serving great Turkish, Indian, Chinese, Carribean and yes British food.  Scunner you'll have to remind me where your favourite curry house is located in the Fethiye area??[ ;)

The bars are not so very different from most of those in Calis or any other Turkish town trying to provide what the visitors like.  All trying to pull in the paying punters by a variety of means including loud music.  I suppose the big difference is that there are more bars in H than C!!

There are the many fairground type attractions, now I don't want to avail myself of these instruments of torture, but I know that many people, Brits, Turks and others who do.  SO H does a great job of giving people what they want. Shopping, I am reliably informed, isn't too bad either.

As to business owners tucking up visitors in Hisaranu, whilst not welcoming it in any shape or form, we all know this goes on at all the 'resorts', including Calis, and from my own experience particularly in Olu Deniz.  Blimey CBF is full of those sorts of justified complaints!

I have heard these sniffy types of remarks before expressed about Blackpool, Benidorm or even Brighton, often from people living close by.  You know those people living in Hove or Calis actually!!  You may not want to spend your whole holiday in H, but it is at least worth a visit for a night or two, for a different - not a bad - experience.  Viv la difference ... as they say ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 11:58:07 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by usedbustickets

Scunner you'll have to remind me where your favourite curry house is located in the Fethiye area??

As a person who lived there for 5 years my favourite curry house in the Fethiye area was Shine in Hisaronu. I went there three times in those 5 years. Had I been there on holiday I think I could have managed a week or two without their vague attempts at Indian cuisine quite easily and if I have been to 100 Indian restaurants in the UK (which I probably have) each and every one was immeasurably better than Shine in Hisaronu! Needs must etc and it was a fair attempt but not something I would make the effort to head to Hisaronu on holiday for!!!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 11:58:38 AM »
All very good usedbustickets but if, as Sleuth says, the resort is struggling then it's obviously NOT offering what most holiday makers want.

As I said - you can go to Spain or Portugal (on a 2.5 hour flight vs 4 hours)and get the same for less.. and a beach to boot  :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 12:06:16 PM »
"Hate the look of the place" is  a statement of fact not a sweeping generalisation

I am highly partial to Calis

...by a variety of means including loud music - the very thing I want to avoid.

...the big difference is that there are more bars in H than C exactly very to many for me.

...There are the many fairground type attractions - not what I'm looking for in my holiday resort (shock :))

...shopping, I am reliably informed, isn't too bad either - what can I buy in H that I can't in Calis or Fethiye

...sniffy types of remarks - not sniffy to prefer one location to another.

..it is at least worth a visit for a night or two, for a different - not a bad - experience. What would you recommend and why.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 12:07:53 PM »
Quite correct Stoop. I also make my earlier point again - does Hisaronu have the return business that Calis most certainly does? Calis must be one of the most revisited resorts in the World and that still isn't enough to make it look busy at some times during the season. I really can't imagine the vast majority of cheap package Brits being impressed enough to make the effort to go back - next year Magaluf or somewhere new that is giving away hotel rooms.

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 12:18:36 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by stoop

All very good usedbustickets but if, as Sleuth says, the resort is struggling then it's obviously NOT offering what most holiday makers want.

As I said - you can go to Spain or Portugal (on a 2.5 hour flight vs 4 hours)and get the same for less.. and a beach to boot  :)

Visiting resorts in Spain and Portugal that are struggling as Hisaranu is suffering, indeed as Calis is suffering, in these tightened financial times.  I think you'll find that the overall number of holidays being taken by Brits, and other nationals, are down.  And that there are very few - if any - holiday destinations that are doing great business.  Unfortunately the name of the game in the holiday industry is beggar my neighbour, as a contracting number of people are taking foreign holiday.  Sadly the the different holiday destinations are starting to become involved in a race to the bottom to survive.

All I  have said in my piece is that the current economic problems being felt in H and other places does not make Hisaranu - as some are saying or implying in this thread - a bad place to visit.  Whether the visit is for an evening or a fortnight, there is something for most people to enjoy ... even just a cooler summer evening than those places in the area at, or just above, sea level.

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 12:40:18 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

"Hate the look of the place" is  a statement of fact not a sweeping generalisation

I am highly partial to Calis

...by a variety of means including loud music - the very thing I want to avoid. I am sure you do want to avoid it H, but loud music can be heard in, for example, Olu Deniz and Calis .. it is not exclusive to Hisaranu

...the big difference is that there are more bars in H than C exactly very to many for me.  I do not have arithmetical proof but I'd have judged that the ratio of bars to other tourist businesses is about the same in Hisaranu as Calis, but you don't have to patronise any bar, whether in Hisaranu or Calis

...There are the many fairground type attractions - not what I'm looking for in my holiday resort (shock :))  Nor me, and that is what I said, but it is one of the things that some people do enjoy, and indeed one of the things that people often like to see in any place, is people enjoying themselves

...shopping, I am reliably informed, isn't too bad either - what can I buy in H that I can't in Calis or Fethiye - don't know, as I implied shopping isn't my thing, but do go and have a look, that it is the sort of things that shoppers tend to do isn't it?

...sniffy types of remarks - not sniffy to prefer one location to another.  it is when you haven't tried the other!!

..it is at least worth a visit for a night or two, for a different - not a bad - experience. What would you recommend and why.  I thought I had done that in my original note, but obviously not enough to convince you H.  c'est la vie ... you can make some of the people happy some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time

« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 12:41:29 PM by usedbustickets »

Offline BM06

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 12:40:44 PM »
Sorry to state the obvious but what imo has had the greatest effect on H (not highlander) has been the AI hotels opening up every where, you will see a big change in C in the next couple of years when the 2 big AI hotels open up, the small family run hotels will follow as they did in H but just can not compete, most of the small market shops will go, and the restaurants, bars, will follow, progress[?] I am not so sure:-\ I do hope this is not the case, but I very much doubt it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf