Author Topic: Lira (Again)  (Read 12176 times)

Offline jamesuk

• Newly Registered
Lira (Again)
« on: October 31, 2016, 20:06:52 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone can remember the highest the Lira got in the summer 2015 and the highest it has got this year.Also how do you think it will do in 2017.Did the general prices go up or down to reflect the changes in restaurants and shops.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Lira (Again)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 21:27:00 PM »
Hit 4.717 on Sept 15 2015

4.42 is the highest I can see for 2016, around the 5th Jan.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 21:30:09 PM »
This might help up to 2016 but as for 2017 if anyone on here (or anyone else) could predict that they would be a genius

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=TRY&view=2Y.

Out of interest why do you want to know regarding 2017.

Offline jamesuk

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 00:04:47 AM »
just wondering how much spending money we will likely need H when it comes to next year. Years ago when we last went to Turkey everything was so cheap we didn't really spend a lot. But  things have changed a lot now. We are going to spend one week A/I in Olu Deniz and one week B&B in Calis. We also want to hire a car for a week.This year we went to Portugal half board for 2 weeks. Took £1000 with us in euros thinking we would have enough but because everything was so expensive we ended up spending £1200. :(

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 10:25:33 AM »
I would suggest you get a card like a Halifax Clarity or a Nationwide (debit) Plus Account Card.  We have both. 
With the Nationwide you can draw Sterling at an ATM with no charges and then change it to Lira at an exchange office (or the currency of the country your are in)   Then you can take your money out  as and when you need it.
The Clarity Card is similiar but it is a credit card.  No charges to purchase things as long as you pay up at the end of the month.  They do make a charge at the end of the month if you draw money, but there is no charge to draw any currency from an ATM and you get, the best Bank Rate of the day.
This saves you worrying how much money to bring and of course, you are not bringing a large sum with you.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 10:51:12 AM »
Did the general prices go up or down to reflect the changes in restaurants and shops.
Turkish inflation has generally been running at between 7% and 9.5% for the last year.

Offline jamesuk

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 11:24:09 AM »
That's quite a lot inflation wise.Much more than I imagined Colwyn. I'm guessing that everything was more expensive than the previous year then

Jacqui.We do have a Nationwide flexi account.Not sure if that is the same as a Nationwide Plus Account Card tho. Will have to look into it. Thanks.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 11:51:33 AM »
It's all relative. When I first went to Turkey inflation was running at 100% annually. First year Efes cost 250,000 lira (= £1), second year it was 500,000 (= £1), third year it was 1,000,000 (= £1).

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 12:19:19 PM »
But quadrupled in price for the locals

Offline yabanci

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 12:42:19 PM »
This is what Turkeys Central Bank thinks about the inflation rate for the coming year.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkeys-central-bank-raises-2017-inflation-forecast--.aspx?pageID=238&nID=105430&NewsCatID=344

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf