Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 79592 times)

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Re: Brexit
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2018, 09:01:37 AM »
Scunner, it is one of the big uncertainties. The answer is nobody knows. Most people think that easyjet just flies from the UK but that is not so. Easyjet operates internally throughout Europe. Easyjet will be operating outside the single market and those routes within the EU could be cut off. Same will apply to other airlines like Virgin and Flybe.You also need to remember the biggest beneficiary of open skies was the UK. Many airlines have arrived on the scene since 1987. There is even a question of ownership of BA as it is part of IAG. If the situation was to get very nasty then yes flights to and from Europe could be seriously impeded as technically aviation would revert back to pre 1987 with cartels and limited landing slots. The compensation rules would also disappear because they are enshrined in EU law and enforced through the ECJ.

In the early 90s the EU through EASA (I think) took over the role of aviation regulation and compliance. Next to nuclear aviation is the most highly regulated industry. EASA is responsible for safety and the issue of licenses in the UK and not the CAA. EASA makes the rules. The UK is nowhere near replicating EASA and as a result many aircraft could be grounded. When the UK was a member of the EU it had a say on the writing and implementation of regulations and directives. This will stop.

The big sticking point will be juristicion. The UK will no longer be bound  or accept ECJ rulings.

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2018, 09:02:03 AM »
Yes, of course we will, but flights will be less frequent and s lot more expensive.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2018, 12:23:16 PM »
Yes, of course we will, but flights will be less frequent and s lot more expensive.

Who says? It's all speculation.

I'm pretty certain that the likes of Spain, France, Portugal, Greece, Italy and other countries that do very well out of British holidaymakers won't take kindly to us being banned from taking our holidays there.

It's all hot wind. There will be a deal on the things that really matter because, as daft as it sounds, the EU will suffer just as badly if no deal is reached. Ireland will be one of the worst hit and their little man in charge threatening to ban our planes from their airspace should have checked with his defence minister first and then checked where most of the flights from Dublin go to and who's airspace they use.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2018, 12:28:00 PM »
Last year, I went on a coach trip.  We sailed from Hull to Rotterdam, and drove through Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, and finally to Germany.
I showed my passport once, on the ferry.
As far as I can see, we’ll have to rely on Trump’s America;  chlorinated chicken, hormone fed beef, GM crops;  no thank you.  I like Danish bacon, French and Italian wines, dairy foods from Holland, and meats that are EU certified as safe.  These things will carry duty, so will become a lot more expensive.
Rees Mogg actually said yesterday (I’ve seen the interview) that it would be 50 years before we had any financial benefit, by which time most brexiters will have popped their clogs.

No the quote was this:

Rees-Mogg: “We will know at some point, of course we will. But it’s a question of timescale.”

Guru-Murthy: “So how long have you got?”

Rees-Mogg: “We won’t know the full economic consequences for a very long time, we really won’t.”

Guru-Murthy: “Of course not, but I mean we’ll have an indication. We’ll know if there’s been chaos, we’ll know if there have been job losses.”

Rees-Mogg: “The overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years.”

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2018, 12:29:37 PM »
 "and meats that are EU certified as safe."

Such as the horsemeat they sent us disguised as beef?

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2018, 12:33:15 PM »
I freely admit to not knowing much, if anything about Brexit, but can someone advise me as to what affect a "no deal" will have on the EU countries and why they would want it.

They don't want it. It's only Junker and his cronies who are looking to punish us for daring to leave their little club. Many of the 27 will suffer worse than us if there is a no deal.

As far as I can see the UK has been pretty flexible in negotiations - yet the EU have dismissed everything as unworkable. It's almost like they want a no deal and the unrest that it will cause across Europe.

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2018, 13:09:05 PM »
The current forecast is that our GDP will shrink by 3.5%, and EU countrys’ bt 1.5%.
Thing is, they can trade with each other, being near neighbours, and they have trade deals in place with other non EU countries.  We have no one at present.
Trump said he’d sign a deal, but this would include their disgusting foodstuffs, and probably an in to our NHS;  Jeremy Hunt has already had meetings with American insurance companies, and Mrs May has refused to rule out American involvement in our health service.
India and Turkey are willing to talk, but any deal would include free movement of their citizens, and could take years to sort out.
As least the horsemeat was safe horsemeat, which caused zero health problems;  some people refuse to eat pretty animals for some reason.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2018, 15:03:11 PM »
Cats, dog, insects, guinea pigs etc. are standard fare in some countries.

Indeed, insects are the future "super food" according to "some experts".

Not sure you'd eat those Lindsey.

Not for me, I'm afraid.

Not yet ready for that.

I've eaten horsemeat in Belgium and France with no problem but I understand those who don't.

Mother loved rabbit but wouldn't eat squirrel.

Nothing to do with prettiness.

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2018, 15:14:36 PM »
We traditionally don’t eat other meat eaters, so that would rule out dogs and cats, but I would have a go at most other things.
I was once called a bambi eater when I ordered venison!  It was lovely. 
I trust European meats because the EU has strict hygiene and humane killing legislation.  Wonder if we’ll ditch these laws after Brexit. 
I’ve been to America three times, and found their food bland and sweet, with ridiculously huge portions.  They don’t seem to have a cuisine of their own. 

Offline scorcher

« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2018, 15:18:07 PM »
Hamburgers and apple pie for starters......

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf