Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 79588 times)

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
Re: Brexit
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2018, 07:16:21 AM »
Wow, hamburgers eh, America’s version of haute cuisine.
My mother used to make apple pie every Sunday;  we never thought of it as an American pudding.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2018, 08:30:16 AM »
Wow - no mention of "haute" eh in your post. I've worked all over America and had some fantastic meals but as you say and I agree that portions are often daunting.

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2018, 11:02:32 AM »
I love reading everyone’s views on this and ‘yes’ we really do not know what the outcome will be but I’m positive it won’t benefit the majority of people. IF there are disruptions or price hikes on flights and holidays, IF there are shortages of certain foods and commodities, IF there are this that and t other.  This time next year we will be able to, hopefully think positively and say ‘it’s better than we thought’.

Offline saoirse

« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2018, 11:46:17 AM »
I think thats wishful thinking bordering on naive

The half who voted Remain are still going to be remainers regardless of the degree of impact this nonsense brings and certainly in Scotland and the North of Ireland where most people voted remain there won't be a rallying around the misguided chinless wonder Rees Mogg/ Johnson  type self serving loons

The break up of the UK has certainly taken a step forward

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2018, 05:50:18 AM »
I think the problem of the Northern Ireland/Republic Border wasn’t even thought of.
A No Deal, which looks on the cards right now would mean a hard border, despite Mrs May’s assurances.
Lots of people who live near the border cross it daily to go to work;  this will become increasingly difficult.
Will we see a return of unrest and violence?

Offline saoirse

« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2018, 06:57:33 AM »
I do not think in the short term we will see any immediate upturn in violence

However there are already well-advanced plans for legal civil disobedience and organised action to remove any infrastructure apparatus or technology sited to enforce a border.

Whilst we welll know that the chinless wonder Bullingdon types would struggle to find Ireland on a map let alone understand or care about the imposition of a hard border the determination not to have lives turned upside down is galvanising support against Brexit and in favour of unity

On a lighter note to underline the absurdity of trying to enforce a border I highlight a couple of scenarios which the bumbling jingoists need to get their head around

The border despite the way it looks on your tv weather maps is not a straight line. It runs through rivers towns even buildings. A pub ( now closed) had the unusual feature whereby the main lounge was in the North with the ladies loos in the South

One village has the border right along the white lines on one of its streets- the sight of a red post box ( Royal Mail)  on one side of the street facing a green one ( An Post) on the other is  often snapped by tourists.

Farmers fields straddle the border and in some areas if a hard border were to be imposed there could be up to a 11mile journey for the land owner to go from one field to the next

There are literally hundreds of crossing points and during our conflict the British army even blew up many of the roads to make them impassable. However with the ingenuity and determination of locals, Sundays often saw ' Road opening community days" whereby locals and supporters would gather to fill in the holes caused by the British army

Bottom line whilst the British never have and never will understand Ireland they have excelled themselves in the bungling bizarre ill thought out Brexit re the border
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 07:04:45 AM by saoirse »

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2018, 08:32:59 AM »
Great to get an Irish viewpoint, Saoirse.

Offline davybill

« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2018, 09:52:38 AM »
Well with Catholics and Prodisans  will Ireland understand their selves?

Offline saoirse

« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2018, 09:55:01 AM »
Lol-We are a complex lot Davy!!!!!

Offline sadler

« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2018, 16:13:58 PM »

Well with Catholics and Prodisans  will Ireland understand their selves?

Or even Protestants!   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf