Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 79566 times)

Offline madmart

Re: Brexit
« Reply #400 on: December 19, 2018, 14:09:49 PM »
respect democracy in action

Theresa May has blocked:

Legal documentation on her Brexit deal
Cabinet vote on her deal
Parliamentary vote on her deal
People’s vote on her deal
Parliamentary vote of no confidence on her deal.

Is that the democracy you want?

Oh dear the king of copy and paste strikes again.

Read the whole quote and not just a selective bit to suit yourself.

Tell you what whilst your at it, instead of you asking questions all the time. How about YOU answering the question after the bit you quoted, or didn't you get that far?

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #401 on: December 19, 2018, 14:23:20 PM »

As I said.......

If the Remainers think they have a democratic right to refuse to accept the result, then presumably they will concede that Leavers have a democratic right to refuse to accept the second result if it were to be remain.

Offline 1calis

• Newly Registered
« Reply #402 on: December 19, 2018, 15:01:36 PM »
Remainers will not accept anything that is not there own way.

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
« Reply #403 on: December 19, 2018, 16:15:34 PM »
If I could ignore the outright lies by the Leave campaign, the criminal electoral fraud, the dark money which fuelled Cambridge Analytica and the foreign meddling in the referendum process, I would respect the original referendum result.

As it stands and for the reasons above, I can't.

Furthermore the referendum question - a simple binary question - was plain stupid. Leave the EU? Sure - just tell me "how". That was never on the ballot.

Now we know how Brexit actually looks - either like May's deal or No Deal, who in their right mind still thinks those promises made by the Leave campaign - the ones you voted on the basis of - were true? Were you told that the army would be deploying 3500 troops, that the government have converted a motorway into a lorry park and the UK government is currently the world's biggest purchaser of fridges?

That's why we need a new referendum - based on the facts this time.

Offline peter16

« Reply #404 on: December 19, 2018, 20:07:57 PM »
Highlander, like a lot of others you seem to think 2016 was the first referendum on the EU, sorry to remind you but it was the second because the first was in 1975, then the country voted really overwhelmingly for the EU(common market). Remainers did think the leavers had a democratic right to another vote unlike now when for some reason the leavers think that democracy is no longer required once (by reason of illegality, lies, election fraud etc) they very narrowly won the third referendum.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #405 on: December 19, 2018, 21:54:10 PM »
peter16

I am fully aware, like many others that there was a vote in 1975.

And forgive me but I am not sure what your point is. Can you explain please.

In the meantime I think every knows what is being discussed with reference to the 2016 referendum and the possibilty of another.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #406 on: December 19, 2018, 22:37:16 PM »

Do you believe that the UK can every again have a referendum on an issue of national importance.

Offline davybill

« Reply #407 on: December 20, 2018, 07:07:13 AM »
99 Days we Leave the EU. Either way.

Offline 1calis

• Newly Registered
« Reply #408 on: December 20, 2018, 07:35:42 AM »
Highlander, like a lot of others you seem to think 2016 was the first referendum on the EU, sorry to remind you but it was the second because the first was in 1975, then the country voted really overwhelmingly for the EU(common market).

1975 was a vote on the EEC. 2016 was a vote on the EU. Two completely different organisations. We never had a vote to join the EU.

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
« Reply #409 on: December 20, 2018, 10:22:17 AM »

Do you believe that the UK can every again have a referendum on an issue of national importance.

It depends on whether the issue is clearly defined and can realistically be asked in a single, simple question. The question should be something like "What relationship should we have with the EU?", rather than "In or out?", but that of course wouldn't work because you'd have about 39m different answers.

Does anybody seriously believe that we should sever all ties to Europe? - You are talking food shortages, medicine shortages, travel disruption and a serious hit to the economy and jobs. That is wilful self-harm.

If you want "some" relationship, then why is May's deal universally unpopular? If anyone thinks they can do better than May, then they're welcome to present their plan. But then again, the EU are done with negotiating and we are at the 11th hour.

What do you prefer, Highlander - No deal or May's deal?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf