Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 79591 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Brexit
« Reply #430 on: December 22, 2018, 20:27:24 PM »
Had they voted, I feel sure we wouldn’t be having this conversation now, as Brexit would be like s nightmare we had two years ago.

Not so !

All other things being equal, even if 100 % of them voted to remain, then remain might have won by a miniscule margin.

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #431 on: December 22, 2018, 21:22:57 PM »
The Leave vote wasn’t exactly overwhelmingly. 
Considering the fact that we were all, Leavers and Remainers, ignorant of all the ins and outs of what brexit would entail (I voted on my gut feelings at the time) and that the margin of victory was quite small on June 23rd 2016, I believe there are good grounds for a second referendum.
The government and the people are completely divided at the moment.  I think another vote would settle the matter once and for all, and unite the country once more.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #432 on: December 22, 2018, 21:42:19 PM »
I think another vote would settle the matter once and for all, and unite the country once more.

Lindsey - really ?

One thing is for certain -17,410,472 people won't feel united if the result is remain.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #433 on: December 22, 2018, 22:14:59 PM »
I got time out when editing my last post so here is what I wanted to re-post

Lindsey with genuine respect

.... the Leave vote was not exactly overwhelming......

the vote was to LEAVE not REMAIN overwhelming or not. What percentage would it have had to been before Remainers would have accepted it 55/45, 57/43, 60/40.......................

....good grounds for a second referendum

I realise I have asked this before but perhaps you could enlighten me......

If the Remainers think they have a democratic right to refuse to accept the result, then presumably they will concede that Leavers have a democratic right to refuse to accept the second result if it were to be remain.

.... "unite the country once and for all"

Really ?

One thing is for certain -17,410,472 people won't feel united if the result is remain.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 22:25:24 PM by Highlander »

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #434 on: December 23, 2018, 06:50:15 AM »
I think a two thirds majority would have settled the issue once and for all.  Yes, 17 million voted to Leave, but 16 million voted to Remain - don’t we count? 
The nation is currently divided into two camps.  One side have the view that a referendum was held two years ago, their side won, and we remainers should suck it up.  The Remain side believe that in the last two years, having seen the (pardon my language) ****storm that is now upon us, large numbers of leavers have now changed their minds. 
I truly believe that were a second referendum to be held now, people would be able to make a truly informed decision, which I think everyone would accept.  Happy days.
My turn to ask you;  would you accept the result of s second referendum, Highlander??

Offline madmart

« Reply #435 on: December 23, 2018, 09:55:29 AM »
Would I accept the result of a second referendum? If it is 52 to 48 remain to leave i.e. last time reversed.

My first reaction is to give it as much respect as the leave camp have with the existing result. That is to say absolutely not, you didn't accept the previous result so why should I or anyone else who feels the same way? Sauce for geese and ganders springs to mind.

In my opinion the leave camp with their antics over this have set a very dangerous precedent for future elections for years to come.

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #436 on: December 23, 2018, 10:04:48 AM »

If there were another vote, and as said some leavers have changed their minds and vote remain, say the outcome then was say, 49.99% remain and 50.1% leave, would the remainers then accept the vote after 2 referendums????

Offline madmart

« Reply #437 on: December 23, 2018, 10:20:02 AM »

If there were another vote, and as said some leavers have changed their minds and vote remain, say the outcome then was say, 49.99% remain and 50.1% leave, would the remainers then accept the vote after 2 referendums????

There's two hopes of that; Bob Hope and no hope.

Offline 1calis

• Newly Registered
« Reply #438 on: December 23, 2018, 15:43:01 PM »
The ‘Project Fear’ was based on what would happen after we left the EU.  They can’t possibly be proved wrong until next year.

Osborne said if we voted leave there would be an emergency budget. False
 Osborne threatened if we vote leave he would have to increase tax rates. False.
 Both of these project fear lies were to be implemented after the vote and before we actually left.

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #439 on: December 24, 2018, 08:18:08 AM »
Whether Project Fear proves to be correct is a massive gamble, a leap in the dark.  Are you willing to risk food and medicine shortages (which may cause fatalities), large numbers of jobs being lost, farmers, hotels, factories and the NHS facing desperate staff shortages, travel disruption, a downturn in our economy, a decrease in our security measures, the return of the troubles in Northern Ireland, the NHS being operated by American insurance companies, and tainted American food in our shops, workers’ rights being taken away, our beaches being deregulated so they’re not blue flag quality any more, a drop in food quality standards together with price rises, and less availability of lovely European food and drink

- all for the sake of the erroneous idea that we’re ruled by Europe, whose laws and regulations are passed by democratically elected MEPs, and we can choose to veto or disregard if we wish, and immigrant workers, who have been proved time and time again to contribute more to the economy than they take out.

Osborne was possibly our worst ever Chancellor, and I’d struggle to believe him if he told me it was Christmas Day tomorrow!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf