Author Topic: I hate it when this happens!!!  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
I hate it when this happens!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 11:19:54 AM »
I like to think about the profit and loss figures of such antics. As an example, I bought two kids bikes from a shop in Fethiye who offered 2 years guarantee. We had a problem with one bike but when I brought it back, can you believe it, that one wasn't one with a guarantee! The more expensive one yes, guarantee, this one no. Anyway, I took the bike to a small workshop next to the canal and a man fixed it and charged me 2 lira.

18 months later I bought 2 more bikes. In the 4 years (after this event) I lived there I took at least a dozen people to bike shops, and recommended bike shops to customers countless times. Needless to say, I didn't buy from, take people to or recommend the "no guarantee" bike shop.

So, back to the economics of bike shops:

Their Profit (from not fixing bike): 2 lira

Their Loss (from losing my goodwill and real estate customers over 4 years)...£****?

Clever shop owner that :D

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 12:36:14 PM »
but isn't it strange - in turkey the opposite can also apply !

We wandered into a rug shop - just day dreaming really.  having just furnished the whole house we couldn't afford the beautiful silk rug that was my hearts desire.  Don't worry said Mustapha - you take home, if you like you keep and pay me when you can.  No no no we argued but he was insistant.  He knew we wouldn't be back in Fethiye for at least another 6 months, but he was happy to take the risk.  Of course we kept the rug (absolutely adore it !), made his shop our first stop the following year (to pay our debt !) but also to buy more.  And we will never go any where else.  A true gent...

Offline ovaciksarah

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 13:43:33 PM »
I always go to Kent Aqua for all my animals, needs, and they are amaz\ing.  Even if I haven,t paid for food, they deliver to my villa and I pay them when I am next in Fethiye, but last time paid for the dog food which they were going to deliver, not arrived, so sent me the most expensive they had, for no charge.  Lovely couple, and nothing is too much bother.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 14:24:12 PM »
Pookie, I suspect you are referring to Mustafa Karayaman near Megri.  We bought a rug from him and paid half, he said pay the other half when you can....

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 14:49:22 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by pookie

but isn't it strange - in turkey the opposite can also apply !

Absolutely agree - I could write a book on rip offs in Turkey small, large and horrific, but in the interests of balance I would release one detailing the astonishing trust and honesty that exists there too. Maybe sometimes we concentrate on the cons, and we should - but some of the great stories of generosity and faith that I remember in my life happened over there too  :)

Offline The Crinklies

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 15:35:44 PM »
ovacksarah, re your post, where is Kent Aqua?

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 16:31:43 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rindaloo

Pookie, I suspect you are referring to Mustafa Karayaman near Megri.  We bought a rug from him and paid half, he said pay the other half when you can....

Yes, a true gent.   So five years after you are still avoiding that corner of the square then ?!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf