Author Topic: The Stag do saga.. Unbelievable!!  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
The Stag do saga.. Unbelievable!!
« on: February 03, 2011, 20:34:12 PM »
Remember the days when people where getting married and the groom would have a stag night and go out for a night's drinking with friends?   This ritual then developed into a weekend away in places like Prague.    
I have heard it all now , the girl who does my nails told me that her husband's friend, who works as a Joiner, is getting married and has invited all his friends to come on his stag do, of course, they will all pay their own fares.  The destination.... Las Vegas the time one week.  The cost of the flight etc., £900.00.    What is the world coming to.  Does a future groom really need to go to Las Vegas for a week?   It seems the days of couples scrimping and saving before and after they get married are gone

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 20:53:25 PM »
My son just did the same Jaquie

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 21:05:57 PM »
That's not a very nice thing to say !

Offline scorcher

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 22:36:42 PM »
Tinx- Specsavers!

Offline ukchris

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 09:52:17 AM »
what you find nowadays is 'one upmanship'

we got married 7 years ago and people still talk about how fantastic a day/night it was..... 50 guests all in for roughly £3000. our stag/hen was a joint affair and was a party of 14 for a week in Turkey before the wedding

my mate went to vegas for his stag do, they spent roughly £22,000 on the wedding and are now divorced after 2 years. wedding still not paid for.

another friend got married last year, and 2 of his friends also got married about the same time, each wanting to try and out do each other.
My mates honeymoon alone cost £6000, very nice but I'd rather spend the £1000 and bank the other £5000 for later down the line, as we all know money is the 1 major topic for arguments etc

Offline corbindallas

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 11:12:49 AM »
Can't see a problem with it at all, might as well get one more lads holiday before settling down to a lifes sentence!:D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »
In today's society young couples must have all the material things in life immediately, a fully furnished house, two cars, holidays abroad and when they marry they must have the most expensive wedding after stag and hen events abroad.   When they have a baby the  women will naturally go to work and put the baby in a nursery or with a child minder so the couple can continue in the usual life style.
When we got married we  had two nights out with our friends for stag and hen nights.  A week in Spain for our honeymoon.  We had a council house in Scotland to start our married life and due to the death of my Grandmother six weeks before the wedding we had her furniture for our new home and £100 that she left to me.      Even when we managed to buy our own house we could not afford carpet in the spare room.   I left work when I had my first baby and would not have considered having a job when I had a baby to look after.  We really struggled on just one wage per month, but I think having to save and struggle to buy items made us stronger and made us appreciate things in life, each time we saved and bought something it was a great achievement and gave us such a buzz of satisfaction.  
If young couples today had to struggle and save to achieve what they wanted, maybe there would not be so many divorces.

Offline posleeds

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 11:23:45 AM »
That's one of the things I love about Turkey & the people....there isn't a lot of one upmanship & keeping up with the Jones'(or the Turkish eqivalent) :).  

Certainly not with the Turkish people I know - they are rich if there is food on the table.

It makes me feel really humble at times.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 18:45:29 PM »
On Saturday, 26th, there are 24 of us going over to The Isle of Wight for the Netley Old Boys Annual Duck Do. As the "Token"! Scot, I have been invited along, and cannot wait, as historically, it is one of the best "lads days out" around. Total cost, including meals = £42.00 Booze extra, of chorse!! :P:P ;)
Gordy.:P:P

Offline scouser2

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 09:23:50 AM »
When we got married 10 years ago, we went to the registry office. There were just ourselves and 2 witnesses (We didn't tell our families or the wife's daughter). We both had new outfits and my wife made a small buffet for the 4 of us. Total cost was under £300 including our rings.We had 2 weeks honeymoon in Turkey a few months later as the wife had exams. We had a blessing on our 5th wedding anniversary, my wife bought her dream dress, and a bridesmaids dress for her daughter at a large outlet village.She made the buffet herself and we had the reception for 40 guests in our house. It was a wonderful day and cost well under £1000.We also asked that if anyone was thinking of giving us gifts,to give supermarket vouchers as we would like to give them to our church, as they held afternoon lunch clubs for pensioners.
I asked my wife on our 10th anniversary, if she had any regrets about our registry office wedding. She said that it was'nt where you got married that was important, but WHO you married.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf