Author Topic: Wrong numbers.  (Read 1264 times)

Offline scouser2

Wrong numbers.
« on: March 07, 2011, 19:29:03 PM »
Why is it that when I answer the phone and the person on the other end realises that they have got the wrong number, they just put the phone down, instead of saying sorry I have dialed the wrong number. Rudeness really annoys me.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Wrong numbers.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 20:24:35 PM »
Why answer the bloody thing if you know it's a wrong number ? ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Wrong numbers.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 20:35:58 PM »
I never do that - in fact, I take my time to apologise and often try to explain how the error could have been made. Generally, they hang up on me!

Offline scouser2

Wrong numbers.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 08:56:47 AM »
It's rude not to.
quote:
Originally posted by KKOB

Why answer the bloody thing if you know it's a wrong number ? ;)

Offline sandgrounder

Wrong numbers.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 10:13:40 AM »
Does anybody else get those irritating 0845 numbers calling with messages about how to claim money back from banks etc? They really annoy me: :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Wrong numbers.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 10:52:11 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by sandgrounder

Does anybody else get those irritating 0845 numbers calling with messages about how to claim money back from banks etc? They really annoy me: :)

Join the Telephone Preference Service, it's free and can stop those call to a private phone number  ;)

Offline marina

Wrong numbers.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 11:27:37 AM »
Agreed Jacqui, we've done that and it works for both landlines and mobiles.  They also have a facility to stop 'silent calls' too.  Just have a look on their website.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Wrong numbers.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 16:11:37 PM »
quote:
Join the Telephone Preference Service, it's free and can stop those call to a private phone number

I did. And it worked for about a year but then it more and more calls broke through. I am not sure that Indian call centres are controllable. Their operatives certainly don't seem to be very concerned when I ask to take their company name ("Could you spell that for me?") and then say I will report the company to TPS. So now I say "Could you just wait a moment while I switch off the stove" and then walk off for a while to use up their time rather than mine. Alternatively, you could try "About bloody time! Where is that refund your company promised me, you damn crooks?". This doesn't solve anything; but it makes me feel better.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Wrong numbers.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 17:41:49 PM »
TPS say they cannot stop the calls from India they only stop the U.K. based calls.  There is a Company that guarantee to stop all nuisance calls but it costs about £40.00 per year to use them.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Wrong numbers.
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 17:49:50 PM »
TrueCall seems very good (as seen on Dragon's Den) but always appeared to be very expensive at around £95. Compared with £40 a year it doesn't sound so excessive. Cheapest I found is at Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/dp/B002GP7HQM?tag=invihand-21 at £89.95 although previously seen at £69.99

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf