Author Topic: How To torment staff in Tesco  (Read 2363 times)

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
How To torment staff in Tesco
« on: November 11, 2011, 13:41:09 PM »
One night this week we decided to go to Tesco to do a small shop, when we walked into Tesco they had stacked at the front of the store boxes of Carling, plastered over the crate were labels clearly stating ‘24x440ml cans for £10 saving £6'.  Gordon said "I don't want or need any", but when he looked at the boxes they were clearly marked 20x440ml cans, "That is not right" remarked Gordon, calming him down (or so I thought)  we continued shopping,  when we had finished our shopping we chose the self-service EXPRESS till, the wording of which is a joke in itself, every item we scanned it beeped back "assistant request" this got Gordon's back up, so when the poor unsuspecting assistant came forth she not only got the wrath of Gordon condemning the Express till but then got marched over to the crates of Carling to show her the error (remember he didn't want to buy them anyway).

When they returned to me at the "Express Till" I was still trying to scan through 10 items, after 15minutes I was ready to give up, I eventually had to cancel all the items and start again!!!  This made Gordon's mood even worse, the assistant came back, apologised and told Gordon to go to the customer service desk and vent his anger at the young man, she knew what she was doing as the poor lad had only been working there less than a week. After Gordon pointing out the error of Tesco and reciting consumer goods acts etc,  Gordon stood there watching whilst they took all the notices of offer down and binned them.

Stop there? NO, next day we were in another town when Gordon says he needed to nip into Tesco to buy something he was cooking up that night, OK we don't need a trolley, we rounded the aisle and darn it! There in all black, white and gold glory were a stack of Carling Lagers again with the same incorrect labels. (24x440ml cans £10, yet the boxes held 20x440ml cans) Gordon limped off with his stick and got a trolley, loaded a box of 20 cans into the trolley and then went in search of single cans and added 4 sitting atop the box of 20.  I let out a loud sigh and he turned to me, pointing his most scary finger and told me "get to the till and keep quiet".   We got to the till and the assistant scanned the Stir Fry oil, sultanas followed by a pack of 4 single cans of Carling and a box of 20cans (now you still remember he didn't want or need the lager).  "How much are you charging me for the lager" he asked, when the check lady told him £10 for 20 cans and £3.99 for 4cans, up went the balloon!!!  "You can't do that the offer is 24 cans for £10 saving me £6".  Queues were building, I could feel the steely eyes of customers upon me, they had chosen this till as we had so little in the trolley.

The following 20minutes were the longest I have endured, the assistant manager was called, it was explained to her, she disappeared returning with a label clearly stating 20cans for £10, "where did you get that"? asked Gordon  "from a shelf" she replied,  Gordon told her that was not where these boxes came from, "Show me" she asked.  (oh dear, red rag and bull springs to my mind at this stage) in a loud booming Scots accent "that's right I will limp all the way back through YOUR shop to show you YOUR products and your mistake" .  By this time our till had become the matinee cabaret act, the audience was growing bigger with each minute.  Back marched the assistant manager with Gordon limping behind, you could have heard a pin drop, the customers waited to hear the outcome, when the posters were laid on the desk by the till confirming the error of Tesco I almost waited for a round of applause and Gordon taking a bow!.   The assistant manager then had to be telephoned to find out where the store stood on the matter of selling the lagers. We waited a further 10minutes.  She returned to us telling Gordon "I am sorry but we are not able to sell you the 24 cans for £10, what would you like to do"?   "No, I am not interested, I didn't want them anyway " said Gordon , so I paid for the 3 items. Then I had to stand there and wait whilst the assistant manager binned the incorrect labels.

Moral of the Story

Don't go shopping with retired people

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 14:44:10 PM »
I cannot recognise any of my good friend in that tale Loz. Are you sure it was Gordon ;)

Offline Stan

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 15:30:58 PM »
I don't know Gordon, but I've been behind him in a queue somewhere ! (sounds a bit rude that)

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 16:09:45 PM »
loved the story.good on you gordon, a man after my own principles

Offline sunnyd

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 16:50:45 PM »
It is against the law for a trader to deliberately give misleading or wrong prices, and they can be prosecuted for doing this.
However, if the price of a product is just simply wrongly labelled you don't automatically get to buy it for that price.

Offline sunnyd

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 16:52:36 PM »
Loz.. My Dad would have done exactly the same thing as Gordon... 'just to prove a point'  :-\

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 18:28:49 PM »
I can't wait to retire!!!!!!!!!!: :) ;):P
Has he any more ideas????

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 18:38:45 PM »
Loz, I am not sure your post is aligned with the spirit of this Section. Surely it should be about grumpies giving vent to their own grumpiness, not reporting other people for being grumpy (if we started that, hell knows where that would lead us). I would report this inappropriate post to someone - if I could only think of someone who would give a damn.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 19:11:40 PM »
Go Gordon!!!

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 20:02:10 PM »
SSSSSHHHHH !! I'm thinking !! : :): :) ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf