Author Topic: Badgers  (Read 2650 times)

Offline johntaylor49

Badgers
« on: September 02, 2013, 14:22:00 PM »
The badger cull has started, what do you think about it??

Offline scorcher

Re: Badgers
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 14:31:03 PM »
Could be a close shave for them.

Offline quackers

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 14:43:24 PM »
I can see why ,but dont agree with it.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 15:48:58 PM »
We don't have bovine T.B. in Scotland.  As you may have seen we have three badgers in our garden coming in every night for food.
A guy we know was telling Phil he took his dogs out for a walk in a wooded area  a couple of weeks ago and one dog was attacked by a Badger, the dogs face was slashed and the treatment has been expensive. Apparently, the dog was came upon the badger and it just lashed out.  We have been out in the garden standing right next to them and as long as we are down wind they do not see us.  However, after hearing about the dog incident will be really careful in future.

Offline Somerset Simon

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 16:58:23 PM »
Being very close to one of the cull areas, but living in a medium sized town, it's is common to see badgers on the streets at night and they are not shy of humans and many people feel they are aggressive and have their own stories. I can see the farmers view as thousands of cows are slaughtered due to TB, but just concerned it will force more of them out of the countryside into our towns which is not good for them or us. There is no perfect solution!

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 18:05:35 PM »
There is no definitive proof, that I know of, that a Cull will prevent TB from spreading :(

There is proof that inoculating cattle will, but that would cost a lot more than a few bullets the Cull is costing...............

I used to have one come into my garden until a neighbour blocked the access with some concrete blocks :(

I hope CBF's own 'little Badgers' are keeping well & safe  ;)

Offline Shamless2

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 18:30:30 PM »
There is no vaccine available for vaccinating against Bovine TB....yet! It is being worked on as we speak. There is proof that a badge cull will cut down on Bovine TB, badgers spread TB via urine, badgers are incontinent and just leak urine as they walk, if they are in your garden they are p!$$!ng everywhere, TB is highly contagious. There is some evidence to show that reintroducing TB free badgers into the wild after the cull will get the numbers up rapidly. Badgers have no natural predators so they can't keep the numbers down "organically". I work in agriculture in Veterinary medicines, I see the devastation on a daily basis, some farmers having to cull their entire herds after years of building up their stock, all this so close to foot and mouth which almost wiped out GB herds.

Offline cef

• Prolific Member

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 20:35:23 PM »
I am completely ignorant of the facts used to support a badger cull, but I can only say that the numbers seem to be put down quite well locally, by the amount of badgers laying dead by the side of the road, having been hit by cars.

Offline Shamless2

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 20:49:47 PM »
Sadly or controversially, the badgers laying on the road have been put there by farmers making it look like accidents, because it is illegal to randomly kill badgers, that's why they have had to introduce the cull, it's been an ongoing consideration for years, it's been a battle to get it through parliament, it's not been a quick knee jerk reaction, far from it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf