Author Topic: Just curious  (Read 6484 times)

Offline Harley

Just curious
« on: October 22, 2013, 07:26:00 AM »
There was been many discussions as to why most of us want to live in Turkey.  Many made the leap and it seems a lot have moved back to Britain. I know a few found themselves in financial difficulties, but this can't be the only reason.

We all know the Pro for moving abroad but what are the CONs   ?     How do you feel now that you've moved back.?

Just curious  to hear the other side

Offline littlereddevil

Re: Just curious
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 08:56:20 AM »
If you read through the forum I think you will find a lot of people return for health reasons.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »
For us there was no single reason. Certainly not financial or health reasons. We felt we had done it, we felt there was little to do for the kids apart from swim (so nothing at all in winter), we wanted the girls to be educated in the UK although their early years education was wonderful and character forming, we were weary of the expat rumour and backstabbing machine (not specifically directed at us, although we got more than our fair share - it's never ending and nobody is spared), the tired old faces in the same bars full of jealousy and hate for those who don't spend every day in the bars (still evident even last week, the faces are the same but significantly more tired!), the number of people who you have never met who's opinion of you is what someone told them, the tax on imported goods making a little treat a rather big treat, the number of items you can't get in Turkey (but can in Rhodes so it can be done if Governments don't tax to death), the punishing heat of July and August coupled with the cold and rains of winter, the way you have to keep your wits about you every time you spend money and *still* someone does you, the way justice costs a fortune and if the guy you are fighting knows 'someone' you had no chance in the first place, how people in dire financial straits that you help can change from so grateful they could faint to believing that not paying you back at all is an acceptable option (same goes for business), how many hours you spend in Government offices wasting your life away, how many hours you spend in Government offices wasting your life away and it was because they moved the goalposts AGAIN, how many hours you spend in banks wasting your life away, how many hours you spend in post offices wasting your life away, how you get sent all the way home to get your passport whenever you want to do anything, how being Turkish can trump being right, how being aggressive can trump being right, how nobody can take you to buy something without negotiating a percentage of your money while you stand there listening oblivious, how easily a section of the British expats found that a good way to earn a living, how you can get invited to celebrate someone's special day and at the end get your share of the bill, how things like house electric meters stop working and you have to pay for a new one, how "You can afford it, you are British" is justification for trebling the quote, how you have to stand in the searing heat of the market while the guy selling belts asks you to burn it with a lighter to prove it isn't plastic and try and rip it to prove it is strong when all you want is a realistic price and to go, how when you know a waiter and bring him over because someone in your company wants a drink and you tell said waiter he wants a vodka and coke and because you said it they put it on your bill.

I believe you requested an idea of the negatives of living there :D

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 11:57:08 AM »
I believe you requested and idea of the negatives of living there :D
Another is lack of need to use paragraphs.

:P

JF

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 11:59:31 AM »
Have to agree with every word there Scunner

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 12:07:42 PM »
Another is lack of need to use paragraphs.

:P

JF

That's the punctuation of a "Scunner rant" John  :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 12:10:01 PM »
We bought a Villa with the intention of eventually retiring there.  That was 8 years ago, however, over the years we have changed our minds and will spend longer periods of time in Turkey, but don't want to live their permanently, it's strange the way we changed our minds, I would say it happened gradually after about the 4th year of ownership.   
I think a lot of the reasons Scunner mentions above where the ones that brought us to our final decision.  I am glad we had the time to make up our minds, the last eight years have been very useful to us and we look forward to our longer holidays in Calis.
However everyone is different and I know some Brits love their new life in Turkey.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »
I still love the place (with a degree of despair for the level of British negativity and a longing for it to go back to 'the way it was' ;), there are also many good reasons for living there but that was not the question asked. I could do a good rant on the positives if asked (please don't!).

It's a place we lived in and as people saw from the "speeches" at the girl's party last week, Turkey gave them the manners and respect that was evident and we thank Turkey for that, and for the hundreds of friends we would never have met at all without discovering Calis and Fethiye. But I could never live there again with all the above. In fact, I couldn't live there without all of the above. It's not entirely a Turkey thing - I doubt I could live in Spain or Australia or anywhere.

Like I said on here before, if you want to appreciate your country, go spend a few years in someone else's. I can get everything I need from my Turkish home town in a week, and that's what we do and for a week it is as magical as it once was, but by going home day it's definitely time to go home     :)

Offline Harley

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 17:28:12 PM »
For us there was no single reason. Certainly not financial or health reasons. We felt we had done it, we felt there was little to do for the kids apart from swim (so nothing at all in winter), we wanted the girls to be educated in the UK although their early years education was wonderful and character forming, we were weary of the expat rumour and backstabbing machine (not specifically directed at us, although we got more than our fair share - it's never ending and nobody is spared), the tired old faces in the same bars full of jealousy and hate for those who don't spend every day in the bars (still evident even last week, the faces are the same but significantly more tired!), the number of people who you have never met who's opinion of you is what someone told them, the tax on imported goods making a little treat a rather big treat, the number of items you can't get in Turkey (but can in Rhodes so it can be done if Governments don't tax to death), the punishing heat of July and August coupled with the cold and rains of winter, the way you have to keep your wits about you every time you spend money and *still* someone does you, the way justice costs a fortune and if the guy you are fighting knows 'someone' you had no chance in the first place, how people in dire financial straits can change from so grateful they could faint to believing that not paying you at all is an acceptable option (same goes for business), how many hours you spend in Government offices wasting your life away, how many hours you spend in Government offices wasting your life away and it was because they moved the goalposts AGAIN, how many hours you spend in banks wasting your life away, how many hours you spend in post offices wasting your life away, how you get sent all the way home to get your passport whenever you want to do anything, how being Turkish can trump being right, how being aggressive can trump being right, how nobody can take you to buy something without negotiating a percentage of your money while you stand there listening oblivious, how easily a section of the British expats found that a good way to earn a living, how you can get invited to celebrate someone's special day and at the end get your share of the bill, how things like house electric meters stop working and you have to pay for a new one, how "You can afford it, you are British" is justification for trebling the quote, how you have to stand in the searing heat of the market while the guy selling belts asks you to burn it with a lighter to pro ve it isn't plastic and try and rip it to prove it is strong when all you want is a realistic price and to go, how when you know a waiter and bring him over because someone in your company wants a drink and you tell said waiter he wants a vodka and coke and because you said it they put it on your bill.

I believe you requested and idea of the negatives of living there :D

Flipping hell Scunner i was expecting a few negatives not a novel. Lol. I see your point though as I've witness most of what you are talking about.
You are correct in saying it's not a Turkish thing. Moving abroad is hard where ever you go. Lots of people love Italy and having lived there I have to agree it's similar to what you mentioned above.  Thankfully with didn't have the Ex pats to worry about cos there wasn't any, but the rest is spot on. My sister states the same about Spain.

As much as I would love to move over to Turkey I don't think we ever will. We'd most probably split our time between Turkey and the UK and enjoy the best of both worlds.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 15:45:29 PM »
A lot of detail. but all from a small number of people, be interested to see many more replies! Even so seeing what has come back I will look at my plan of renting my property here and renting in Turkey rather than buy anything.  With the huge differences in rent it would give me a very good income overall and I can keep my
equity that should continue to rise, hopefully!  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf