Author Topic: The Long Dark Sunday of My Youth  (Read 3755 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: The Long Dark Sunday of My Youth
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 19:11:53 PM »
If I remember right you had to be a Sixer and get 12 or 15 badges to become a Leaping Wolf. You then had to gain another couple of badges to be made a Senior Sixer.

I got kicked out invited to leave before I could make it to Senior Sixer.   ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 19:41:29 PM »
"Leaping Wolf: a Wolf Cub who leaps upon, and attempts to ravish, a Girl Guide."

Source: I may have made that up.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 19:50:55 PM »
I think you are getting it confused with Jimmy Savile

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 20:23:32 PM »
Lol - really made me laugh :D

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 20:37:58 PM »
I think you are getting it confused with Jimmy Savile

Nah, mate. I wasn't interested in the youngsters.  ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 21:53:35 PM »
Here's a link to Hancock's 1958 take on Sunday. I had forgotten how many of his great one-liners were in this one - including "I thought my mother was a bad good cook but at least her gravy used to move about" and, dismissing a counter-argument, "That's besides the point and nothing to do with it" - a phrase that I may have used myself in answer to an attempt to halt my progress in mid rant.

http://www.myoldradio.com/old-radio-shows/hancocks-half-hour

Offline quackers

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 06:02:42 AM »
Sunday evenıngs lıstenıng to Radıo Luxembourg and forever tunıng ıt back ın cos ıt kept fading..

Offline philrose

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 09:04:43 AM »

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 09:41:52 AM »
One of the upsides of my Sunday recollections was meeting up with my cousins for Sunday tea.  We had a long tortuous walk to get there as they lived about 5 miles away.  We had no car, busses didn't run on Sundays, and even if they did, with one large pram complete with baby and two more of us, it would not have been feasible.  We would all sit round the pasting table, (brought out from under the  stairs for the event), and there would always be winkles and shrimps and jellied eels (purchased from Walthamstow market, the day before). We would all share a safety pin to deal with the winkles, and even the baby could pull the head off the shrimp and eat it.  The highlight of the day would be toasting crumpets by the fire on a large toasting fork.  We all toasted our own (no elf and safety back then) and our faces would be bright red from getting too close to the spitting coal fire.  Then it would be coats on and a walk back in the dark, with the baby fast asleep.  Sometimes mum would let my brother sit on the end of the pram, but me being the oldest always walked along with one hand on the pram ( a slap on the legs if I let go!!).. I certainly never had any trouble sleeping back then  : :) : :)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 10:59:29 AM »
No wonder you are so trim and healthy    :)

We did something similar going to grans on pushbikes - with baby chairs on the back - I usually fell asleep before we got there as it was about 10 miles away and I was only 2 or 3 years old.

It does conjure up wonderful, simple times - with lots of conversation - no tv, computer games or other distractions - just family, friends and sharing    :)

Ps we didn't have all that fishy stuff up norf - we had northern delicacies - soup made from cow heel - followed by a meat (not very much) and potato hash and always ended with gran's home made malt loaf

pps as I grew older I also remember my gran occasionally had her favourite delicacy - sheeps brains - ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww - she was from Wales though !!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf