Author Topic: Bogus Plastics Cancer Danger  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Bogus Plastics Cancer Danger
« on: January 22, 2014, 17:01:31 PM »
A couple of years ago Hilary started saying we shouldn't reuse plastic water bottles - at least not too many times and definitely never for tapwater. She had learned it they became carcinogenic. Last week she back from a night out with friends to announce that things shouldn't be microwaved in plastic containers or with a plastic covering (e,g, clingfilm). I had put up with the water bottle thing but this was too much. I went online. I discovered that UK Cancer Research has pronounced this to be absolute bullsh absolutely without scientific foundation. They claim it comes from 2002 when one scientist said on a Japanese TV show that you shouldn't freeze water in plastic bottles. The show threw in the microwave scare for good luck.UK Cancer Research conclude that there is no evidence to substantiate any of this.

How I bloody hate these urban myths. Mind I you I didn't go down to the woods today as the teddy bears were having their picnic (Wednesday = looking after granddaughter day)

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/healthyliving/cancercontroversies/Plasticbottles/

Offline angela

Re: Bogus Plastics Cancer Danger
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 12:04:07 PM »
very similar to the claim that using underarm deodorant gives you breast cancer, Utter nonsense!

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/healthyliving/cancercontroversies/deodorants/

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 12:41:12 PM »
You should try Facebook, Colwyn. Every day there is an outrage over something randomly chosen causing deadly diseases (cancer mainly of course) but it's not all gullible stupidity for the sake of it, there's often also a petition to sign to have it all banned.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 15:20:31 PM »
Yes, I've just signed the "Ban The Whale" petition on Facebook.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 15:24:02 PM »
I don't go on Facebook. Some people say it causes cancer. Others say it is a cancer. Best to stay clear I think.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf