Author Topic: UK & "Islamic State"  (Read 7766 times)

Offline apollo

Re: UK & "Islamic State"
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 18:59:20 PM »
I agree with you Colwyn.  All the while "we" meddle in other countries business nothing will change. To misquote the many to whom this phrase is accredited.
He maybe a bast**d but he is our bast**rd

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 20:41:11 PM »
I loved the videos Nichola, couldn't have said it better myself  ;) There was no Isis one year ago but suddenly they came out?
a new group. And to your point Colwyn as to the UK getting involved,  we are Americas puppets
If they say jump we jump! Why have we not got involved in Israel? There are hundreds of people getting killed but no intervention from Uk or US. Strange don't you think?

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 22:30:18 PM »
Where do you think Hitler started?
Weren't we guilty of idly standing back until it was nearly too late?
10s of 1000s of people gave their lives, including Americans, we also bombed and killed the oppressors and no doubt killed lots of innocent people, giving you the freedom you have now to say what you like,
If we went by your school of thought we would be under German rule now
The united troops are out there trying to give oppressed people their freedom now, I for one am fully behind our troops.

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 09:18:18 AM »
Still doesn't answer my question, Why do we not intervene in Israel/Palestine then? 100's getting killed there why are we not helping?

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 09:37:32 AM »
Israel and Palestine is a conflict between two nations, that have been forced together, that has to be sorted by dialogue and pressure from United Nations however it is not seen as a threat to world peace as the situation with ISIS or whatever they are called now, anyone who thinks they are not a threat needs to wake up.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 09:38:19 AM »
Where do you think Hitler started?
Weren't we guilty of idly standing back until it was nearly too late?
10s of 1000s of people gave their lives, including Americans, we also bombed and killed the oppressors and no doubt killed lots of innocent people, giving you the freedom you have now to say what you like,
If we went by your school of thought we would be under German rule now
The united troops are out there trying to give oppressed people their freedom now, I for one am fully behind our troops.
Interesting comparison Andy, but here is the rub, Hitler was a direct threat to 'us' and required military and political action to defeat him and his evil regmes, the latter point being Churchill's efforts to bring the USA into the Hitler war on the side of the British, which he was unsuccessful in and required the Japanese military action to bring it about 2 years after the start of the war in Europe.

Sorry I digress, the point was Hitler and his allies, a number from within the UK too, was defeated by engaging directly against him, in order to defeat him.  In all of the recent military engagements in muslim countries, there has been little or no support for the so called liberating western forces.  Most have been happy to have the lunatics running their asylum, and most shied away from taking any action, let alone military action against the evil jihadists or whatever.  Look at the glorious Iraqi army, trained and armed at great expense largely by the west, first sign of trouble peeled off their uniform, left their modern weapons behind and ran.  Those that the west believed would stand and fight - with the honorable exception of the Kurds - after having taken the money, from corruption and otherwise, simply melted away, and, in many cases, have sought and gained political asylum in the west!!  It's like Vietnam all over again ...

Unlike the Brits (and their allies) in '39, those that the west might hope are prepared to fight, are not ..... and so any comparison to the ww2, with this crowd in the middle east, afghanistan, pakistan or wherever is very wide of the mark.  Just to finish off on this point, my old man served in the army in Iraq (and across North Africa and rest of middle east) and he always maintained before Iraq 1 and since that the place was, in his words, 'a fly-blown ****hole' where no one could be trusted, and the place was not worth a drop of British blood, and the more things have gone on, the more I think he is was absoloutely right.

BTW this is a very well argued piece on the west policy on military intervention http://www.monbiot.com/2014/09/30/bomb-everyone/
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:48:21 AM by usedbustickets »

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 09:46:22 AM »
Israel and Palestine is a conflict between two nations, that have been forced together, that has to be sorted by dialogue and pressure from United Nations however it is not seen as a threat to world peace as the situation with ISIS or whatever they are called now, anyone who thinks they are not a threat needs to wake up.

Come on Andy you really are stretching the point now, what two nations?  One is a regional military super power, and the other a state in name only.  One demands and gets what it wants because of the USA backing, the other is never able to give up enough to its oppressor neighbour to get what it needs in order to establish its state.  Almost on a daily basis Israel steals Palestinian land and drives out the Palestinian people.  And it is largely this single problem that has united all muslims and more importantly enabled/encouraged the growth of radical and political islam, that threatens the world more than any other single political issue.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 09:54:45 AM »
On meddling in the Middle East. If the US (with UK trailing along, as usual) hadn't decided on regime change in Iraq and so overthrown Saddam Hussein we would not have created a power vacuum in which Islamic State could flourish. The arms intended for "moderate reformers" in the Syrian Free Army rapidly found their way into hands of jihadists. So we both created the conditions for the rise if IS and we armed them and we are now bombing Iraq and our American chums are bombing Syria. Hooray for intervention? I don't think so. We don't know what the hell we are doing in the Middle East and so blunder about making matters worse. At least we haven't decided to bomb Nigeria in order to sort out the Boko Haram and make an even greater mess in Africa. Yet.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 10:21:32 AM »
Ok let's sit back and do nothing, then we can see what a catastrophe for the world we can create, it will be far worse than anything we have caused by 'interfering'

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2014, 10:25:10 AM »
So you're walking down the street and you see a pensioner lying on the

ground having the life kicked out of him by a yob.It's ok to walk past and

say to yourself " nothing to do with me, that's up to you two to sort out. "

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf