Author Topic: Buy a home get automatic Citizenship  (Read 8461 times)

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
Re: Buy a home get automatic Citizenship
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 13:06:23 PM »
I misunderstand the word "automatic" then.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 16:23:55 PM »
As the article states:

Questions
There are lots of details not known right now.  Is it really free or is there a cost?  Would there be a qualifying period?  Would the property have to be above a minimum value?  What happens if you sell?  And presumably the system of residence permits would continue for non-property owning expats (renters).
For now we should stress there is no change.  This is simply a proposal and it remains to be seen if and when it becomes law.

Who would have thought a 5 year visa would drop in price from nearly 2000 lira to 200 lira 4 years ago - this is Turkey - always keep an open mind and never be surprised. The Middle East and Europe are changing landscapes.......

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 18:13:30 PM »
Having read the article again I see it says that foreigners who buy a property would be granted the same rights as citizens. It doesn't say that they would get citizenship.

News is emerging of a proposal to introduce a new law in Turkey, granting foreigners who buy a property the same rights as Turkish citizens.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 11:26:48 AM »
Interesting

http://kalkan.turkishlocalnews.com/portal/kalkan-news/456243-buy-a-house-get-free-turkish-citizenship

It's interesting, but not much more - plus, he is AKP and might not even be a deputy come November.

Citizenship (even a watered down version) is much more important to Turks than those from the UK, US etc.  The CHP and MHP would never consider giving a foreigner rights approaching that of a Turkish citizen, it'd be similar to letting a recent immigrant to the UK borrow the Crown Jewels for a wedding.

If, and it's a big if, a system were to emerge allowing "citizenship" in return for investment (property or otherwise) you can bet your arse the financial threshold would be a hell of a lot more than the value of a two bed apartment in Calis or duplex in Ovacik.

As regards Military service, calm down folks - to be eligible you have to be a full citizen, speak Turkish and not be a homosexual (their rules).

JF

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 13:32:45 PM »
Think there is an over 40 rule as well?  One of the Turkish waiters in our local Turkish Restaurant in Aberdeen, told us he  is not going back to Turkey until he is 40 years old, as they cannot get him for National Service then.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 13:53:41 PM »
he  is not going back to Turkey until he is 40 years old, as they cannot get him for National Service then.

Nope, they cant.  However they can get him for evading his military obligation under the constitution, up to three years in the pokey. 

JF

Offline Troy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 23:29:15 PM »
I think the line about entering and leaving the country "as a citizen" was probably intended to read "as a citizen would." Basically the same as having a long-term residence permit with the right to work.  It sounds impossible, they wouldn't just let anyone become a Turkish citizen just because they buy a property. But it does make sense that they would arrange something so that property owners are not subject to the 120-day restriction for being out of the country, having to keep re-applying for residence permits again and again.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 19:42:14 PM »
If, and it's a big if, a system were to emerge allowing "citizenship" in return for investment (property or otherwise) you can bet your arse the financial threshold would be a hell of a lot more than the value of a two bed apartment in Calis or duplex in Ovacik.

Looks like I wasn't far off the mark, Zeybekci has been quoted in HDN recent;y:

"The minister recalled that many countries offer a similar implementation, also saying the base limit could stand somewhere between $500,000 and $1 million."

Kinda rules it out for most folks I think..

Full story

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf