Author Topic: Beware at cash machines!!  (Read 8474 times)

Offline Pauline4Pete

Beware at cash machines!!
« on: June 18, 2011, 22:53:14 PM »
I was about to use the atm (set of three Calis near old dolphin roundabout) 9.45 tonight when a Turkish guy who was at the machine before me stood next to me as I went to use it. My card wouldnt go in the machine and he offered to help. I was immediately suspicious by the way he was looking over his shoulder. Before I could react he took my card out of my hand and put it in the machine. He kept insisting I put my pin number in and when I refused and pressed the cancel button he tried to cover the keys. He took my card and tried to conceal it. I demanded it back and he run off. Please be aware of who is around when using ATMs.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:05:55 AM by Anne »

Offline Foosey

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 23:16:31 PM »
How awful ... did you get your card back? Hope you are ok?

Offline Fastlady

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 23:46:22 PM »
That's terrible and thanks for letting us know.  I regularly use those machines - will be a bit more wary now.  Do you have a description of the guy. Thanks

Offline Pauline4Pete

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 23:49:58 PM »
Yes I did get my card back and I am fine thank you just a bit upset by it. I was lucky, the same thing happened to friends of ours last year but they lost their card and £500 was taken before the card was cancelled. It all happens so quickly all I can advise is if you have trouble getting your card into the ATM, take your card and walk away!

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 00:35:25 AM »
Just make sure that there is no-one behind you or near you before you even get your card out. If there is tell them to "go away" in your best French [:(!] ;)

Offline tony jenkins

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 06:04:13 AM »
And get your money during the day!

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 07:06:44 AM »
There has been repeated reports of incidents like this at these particular cash machines over the past couple of years.

Did you report it? There should be video surveillence that could be checked.

If you do have to use these machines maybe go in pairs or a small group and I am not suggesting anyone take any risks but maybe have a camera or phone to hand so you can take a discreet or not so discreet photo or video that could be used as evidence to catch these people.

Offline peecee

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 08:22:57 AM »
So they're at it again this year.  Perhaps, as someone suggested last year, a voluntary group should be formed to keep watch.  Sit in a bar, drink a couple of Efes, and try and catch them.  Or at least photograph them
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:23:37 AM by peecee »

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 09:38:32 AM »
We always used to use these machines, however once I started to read the reports about people being harassed and loosing cards and money at them we stopped using them.  Better to use the one near the bridge which has a glass door that you can close shut.  Even better to use machines in Fethiye that have armed guards outside them.  Time these Calis machines had CCTV attached to them and time the police did something too.

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 09:44:49 AM »
Warnings about these men should be put up in bars,restaurants and hotels. Could holiday reps speak about them when they do the transfers?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:45:37 AM by Daffodil »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf