Author Topic: Beware at cash machines!!  (Read 8471 times)

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
Beware at cash machines!!
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 10:05:04 AM »
Even here at home, I always look behind me before using an ATM. I always cover the keypad when typing in my PIN, and during the transaction, I continue to look around me before retrieving my cash. It's not the first time I've said to someone to stand away as they are invading my space while using a machine. It's all about being aware at all times.
 8)

Offline Pauline4Pete

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 10:07:24 AM »
I use these machines regularly during the day without any issues. There were other people behind me and friends and my husband standing on the pavement. This clearly does not deter the thieving gits. As for taking photographs, until it happens to you we can all be wiser after the event. Believe me this situation developed so quickly  it takes you all your wits to prevent a loss. As for the HSBC at the bridge with the closing door, that is where my friends had their card taken and £500 drawn from their account. I could report it to the police but really there is nothing to investigate as he didnt get away with anything but if anyone can advise who best to speak to to try and prevent future incidents I am more than happy to do that. Daffodil is right warnings should be put up locally and even on the machines themselves. There should also be booths around each cash point so no one can invade your space.  This thief was very agitated to the point of becoming aggressive only that I started to raise my voice and attract attention. The police do need to carry out surveilance as I feel it is only a matter of time before this scam could develop into something more physical.

Offline kizkucuk

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 10:16:19 AM »
My friend lost her card at the same cash points last year.  She had to report it to the police as her account was emptied.   Is it worth reporting to Alo 174?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 10:20:59 AM by kizkucuk »

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 10:53:54 AM »
Would the Fethiye Times also mention it in an article?

I think that if this happened to me and I was alone at an ATM machine it would be a very frightening experience. If the message is put out more and the thugs made to feel they are being watched it might deter them.I would think that it is worth telephoning the help line. This is taking money out of the local businesses income too and tarnishing the reputation of the area.They sound very determined though and it would take the police to sort it out not unarmed holidaymakers.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 11:03:26 AM by Daffodil »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 16:18:01 PM »
I think everyone can try and advise but this is not a Fethiye problem, it happens everywhere and people should by now know that they need to keep their wits about them when using the ATM at Migros or the one in their own High Street at home. Try seeing if you can clock the pin number of the person in front of you at the hole in the wall or paying by card in the supermarket - I guarantee you'll clearly see more than you don't. Don't get caught looking though  ;)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 16:25:46 PM »
I will be putting up a gentle reminder to take care and be aware at ATM's at the restaurant tonight...

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 16:54:48 PM »
I never use a cash machine in the U.K. I get my money from the supermarkets.  In Turkey we make it a rule not to use the ATM's at the taxi rank.  If in Calis we go together to the glass door ATM.  We shut the door and one of us stands in front of it while the other one makes the transaction. Perhaps there was a robbery there, but it seems much safer to me than the other ones. Why not all all agree  not use those particular machines. Personally we always thought they were in entirely the wrong place far too exposed, they make it easy for thieves.

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 17:42:32 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jacqui Harvey

I never use a cash machine in the U.K. I get my money from the supermarkets.  In Turkey we make it a rule not to use the ATM's at the taxi rank.  If in Calis we go together to the glass door ATM.  We shut the door and one of us stands in front of it while the other one makes the transaction. Perhaps there was a robbery there, but it seems much safer to me than the other ones. Why not all all agree  not use those particular machines. Personally we always thought they were in entirely the wrong place far too exposed, they make it easy for thieves.

There is a fourth ATM being installed at the taxi rank, by ING, the only problem with everyone boycotting these machines there will be no money left in the HSBC one.
Mark

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 19:17:19 PM »
Thank you nichola. It is the people who are coming here in the summer season and are not familiar with the area that will be most at risk of being a target for these swindlers. It would be a good idea for tour reps to mention what is going on as well when they do transfers or have welcome meetings for their guests. I know this happens in England and you have to be careful but being in a foreign country you can be in a more vulnerable position about how to cope with situations.

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 23:42:04 PM »
People make it easy for thieves, not ATMs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf