Author Topic: Violent attacks against women  (Read 8030 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Violent attacks against women
« on: June 25, 2012, 10:24:48 AM »
While I and many others have usually considered it relatively safe to walk alone day and night without fear there do appear to have been a number of serious attacks on women recently.

There is a Facebook group which can give you more information about some of these recent assaults and the brief of the group has been expanded to cover "crimes" as opposed to just burglaries in the area.

For more information and a place where people can share their experience (if they want to).

http://www.facebook.com/groups/thieves.in.turkey/
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:12:40 PM by nichola »

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Violence against women
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:01:05 AM »
...sorry Nicola but this smacks a little of vigilantes to me.
Whilst I agree the perpetrators of these attacks need to be caught and dealt with, I don't think this is the way forward.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Violence against women
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
Thanks Nichola I've asked to join, even if I see something that jogs my memory and might help as a witness or something it could be helpful.
Just hope it doesn't make me nervous and paranoid though!

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Violent attacks against women
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 12:23:52 PM »
I am not in favour of vigilantes or of people taking the law into their own hands Anne although many a time I have read posts of this forum where people have advocated violent retaliation to burglars etc... what they would/wouldn't do etc, etc often with considerable support from others!

I posted this group as a link as a source of information, a possible forum for victims of crimes to get support and advice and to hopefully to heighten awareness that there are risks in this area just like anywhere else in the world.

Offline Cennet

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 12:45:34 PM »
Whilst I agree the perpetrators of these attacks need to be caught and dealt with, I don't think this is the way forward.

How is that? Just been on the site and can't see anything to do with vigilantes on there. If it makes women aware of issues regarding personal safety thats a good thing surely.
Or do we not want to hurt the thugs feelings!!

Offline Marggie

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 15:20:41 PM »
Thanks for the link Nichola,  anything which raises awareness of this growing problem can only be a good thing.

Like many others, I always felt very safe in Fethiye until last year when my friend was robbed at knife point in her own home by a thief who came in over the balcony.  Thankfully in this instance the police took the crime seriously and he was eventually apprehended and sent to prison for 10 years.  He, along with his look-out, had also committed several other burglaries and was charged and jailed separately on each count.

Now I am much more careful, especially if in on my own, if the balcony door is open I always close and lock the grill on the door when pottering about inside.  Likewise if out on my own I try to be home before dark.

Offline Merlin

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 15:56:04 PM »

There is no vigilante aspect on the Group whatsoever.

It started out in winter months when burglaries were prevalent and has extended to covering any aspect of crime. Sadly there are many people who feel despair when they find their house ransacked and no caring ears to help. Many of the group members are victims that are merely extending a hand to help others who find themselves in the same situation they went through.

Until you have suffered burglary or a unprovoked sexual attack then unless you have a better medium for people to find solace it would be better not to cast judgement.

Worryingly there is evidence of crimes being reported but dismissed by police where the woman is considered as causing the problem by either provocative clothing or their aura.

As there is currently no support for victims of crime in Fethiye - what exactly would be "the way forward"

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 16:08:48 PM »
Merlin, please don't assume you know anything of me or why I feel as I do. Perhaps it's you who should not pass judgement.
I'm all for making people aware of the dangers but a group such as this can very soon get out of control.  Are you alone going to monitor who joins
your group?  How do you know a sex pest, burglar or such is not already on there?  These people don't have it tatooted on their foreheads.
Next it'll be name and shame.  Then some poor innocent Joe Soap will suffer the consequences.
Just my opinion, and the last I'll say on the subject.

Offline Merlin

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 16:28:07 PM »
Don't agree.

There is no names of people published unless they are convicted or priorly admitted a crime and then they will be named and shamed.

It's not a free for all and whilst there is no moderation controls on facebook you only need to look at the content of the posts therein to see these are genuine people with real concerns.

So much so that a recent victim has offered to fund the creation of a walk-in center in Fethiye so others have a central point to liaise with officials and other helper volunteers when they need them. It's not an english thing. It's a sign of the times and will i gather be extended to all. Statistics are important if there is to be a way forward and right now crime is merely accepted by far too many as part of living here so nothing will ever be sorted.

Every other tourist area is also seeing more crime than ever before but you can either hide you head in the sand and ignore it or do something constructive that ultimately improves the lives of everyone.

I do not manipulate the group - anyone is welcome to join and they can benefit from others' experiences. Chill out mother hen

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 19:31:28 PM »
Merlin - I read your last post with interest and have one question for one.

Was your last sentence really necessary.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf