Author Topic: Tourist Figures Released  (Read 3943 times)

Offline keng38

• Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow
Re: Tourist Figures Released
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 22:16:53 PM »
Its probably 2.5 million people going more than 9 times a year as they own houses there

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 22:25:27 PM »
It's the duty free and day trippers across the channel. God bless the Sun £1 deals

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 22:27:42 PM »
That may be the case, but that wouldn't come under the heading surely - which is "Top 10 Holiday Destinations Taken by Brits"

Offline ColinT

• Portsmouth, UK
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 22:31:27 PM »
Living in Portsmouth, we pop across to France for day trips about 3 times a year. Maybe things like this are counted as 3 foreign holidays in the figures?

When we first went to Calis 9 years ago the exchange rate was £1=TL3,000,000.  I hate to use the Efes example, but it was TL3,000,000 everywhere on the front for a large Efes, and this year it was double that with not such a good exchange rate.  This change has applied to food, etc also, and these prices have also doubled in this time.  Also, we used to get flights to Dalaman for £130-150 return, although that was in the days of XL airways and look what happened to them!  Hotel prices have crept up also, and are considerably more for the same product.  All in all, I estimate it is costing us double now for a Calis holiday than it cost 9 years ago.  I know prices go up, but to double in such a short period of time is off putting.

We are off to Cyprus instead next summer.  I'm sure we will be back as we like it in Calis too much, but its just time for a change.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 22:32:31 PM »
I think it would...I bet they are just counting numbers entering France otherwise how do you seperate business from leisure visitors? Answer: they don't!

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 22:40:52 PM »
When are the figures for Rimms.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 23:06:36 PM »
France actually has about 70 million tourist visitors a year (worldwide not just from the UK). In fact it attracts more tourists than any where else in the world so Doğan tells me.

It does have Paris, one of the most romantic cities in the world (I think).

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Tourist Figures Released
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 07:46:27 AM »
When are the figures for Rimms.

Not sure, it was taken from one of the online newspapers I read last week.

Offline starman

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 08:08:29 AM »
All in all, I estimate it is costing us double now for a Calis holiday than it cost 9 years ago.  I know prices go up, but to double in such a short period of time is off putting.

You have to consider many things for why costs are double then 9 years ago. For example the price of fuel has tripled since then and that has a knock on effect for everything. Standard of living has gone up along with wage expectations. After all the legal minimum wage is currently ONLY 940.50 TL!!
Prices have gone up everywhere across the globe and pretty sure they have gone up in the UK aswell.
Somethings how ever have gotten cheaper in the last 9 years in Turkey like consumer electronics, motor vehicles etc. When I purchased my first TV set here 20 yrs ago, it was 300 USD for a second hand black and white TV, now you can get a 32 inch HD LCD screen for that amount.
As for the posted tourist figures, well it looks like it came from a tabloid so would take those figures with a pinch of salt.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Tourist Figures Released
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 11:30:48 AM »
As it says on the bottom of the chart, the source is from the Foreign Office website.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf