Author Topic: Depressing Turkish news article :-(  (Read 2895 times)

Offline starman

Re: Depressing Turkish news article :-(
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 07:27:31 AM »
Saw some banners this morning beside the road from the local council. Big sign saying "come on kids, lets go to imam hatip" (Koran teaching school)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 10:03:16 AM »
I am not supporting Turkish censorship but my instant reaction to it on the evening was "What an odd song to chose!". Lennon's trite political philosophy, even sillier than Bob Dylan's (which is pretty difficult to manage), seemed unlikely to go down well all around the world. What is the message? Everyone can live in harmony as long as everyone else gives up religion and becomes an atheist like me. Since the majority of people in most countries declare they had a religion this is a trifle arrogant isn't it? Not the way to wave farewell to the world after such a successful Olympics.

I'm not all that impressed with multi-millionaires preaching against possessions either.

Offline hubblebubbles

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 13:24:34 PM »
It seems the rules are bent very easily here to suit. I was talking to a family  man who says he is a good strict  Muslim. During the conversation he said Vodka was his favourite drink. Huh.... I thought drinking was not allowed. His reply was. "No its ok as I only drink it for pleasure because it make me happy. I dont drink to cause fights or trouble". Work that one out.

Offline starman

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 14:48:31 PM »
Thats a whole new thread now........

I only drink alcohol because it keeps the hunger pains away...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf