Author Topic: Smaller Turkish Resort!  (Read 4772 times)

Offline mkwhite

Smaller Turkish Resort!
« on: September 02, 2012, 19:25:07 PM »
Having had a really good two weeks in Calis,I will definitely return at some point but as this was our first trip to Turkey,next year I would like to try somewhere else in Turkey, preferably somewhere a little smaller and more traditional. can anyone recommend anywhere that would fit this description, I do not want back of beyond but smaller villages with more traditional bars/restaurants would be ideal.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Smaller Turkish Resort!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 23:16:27 PM »
May I ask what specifically you didn't like about Calis, that makes you want to go elsewhere.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 23:17:25 PM »
He was disappointed by the Kipa :D

Offline busybee

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 05:38:01 AM »
Uzumla seems to fit the bill

Offline mkwhite

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 07:21:13 AM »
May I ask what specifically you didn't like about Calis, that makes you want to go elsewhere.
Not dissapointed but it was bigger than places we usually go and there seemed a little lack of authenticity about the place,had a good holiday but with such avast country there must be other good more traditional places to try.

Offline wallace

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 07:48:36 AM »
Bozburun, Sogut or Selimye on the Bozburun peninsular would fit the bill   :)

Offline col

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 08:15:17 AM »
What a ridiculous reply.
Not everyone who comes to Calis falls in love it, I know many who didn't like it,
and a lot of people who live in Fethiye and other areas close by who don't go there.
There is far far more to Turkey for people to be able to 'go elsewhere'. and not
return time after time to Calis.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 08:20:04 AM »
Most people want traditional, authentic Turkish, but once the tourists get to these places and start to want hotels, bars and food, just how long can they stay traditional?   As you say you do not want the back of beyond, but the back of beyond, where not many tourists get to, will be the most traditionally Turkish you will find.
Where we stay right at the back of Calis, is another world from the sea front.  The Farmers that surround us all wear the traditional Turkish dress, they tether their animals in the fields next to us and move them up and down our cul-de-sac.  They also share the produce they grow with us, as gifts.
When we come back from Fethiye or Calis Prom and sit in our garden, with the mountains as our backdrop, it's so peaceful, quiet and watching the swallows dipping into the pool and seeing the tortoises walking in the garden and around the fields is as far away from the tourist "Turkey" than you could get.  However, it's nice to go back to the "Tourist" side of things and enjoy the shops, bars and restaurants.  Think we have the best of both worlds and would not want to change that.  ;D   ;)
I can understand you wanting to try other places though, and have heard that Cirali is a beautiful place.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 08:55:10 AM »
What a ridiculous reply.

Why is it ridiculous >:( >:(

As far as I can see it's a perfectly reasonable question.

Indeed mkwhite didn't appear to consider it ridiculous as he answered it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:06:16 AM by Highlander »

Offline ovacik2

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 09:00:23 AM »
mkwhite.  We understand your question which am sure many people ask. However on the beautiful coast of Turkey you will always find touists to a degree, Wallace IO opinion has a very positive choice. Bosburun, a fantastic area with many small Turkish villages. Even the Pm of Turkey holidays there. Datca and all it has to offer also within easy distance from there. Ferry to Bodrum if you want a day out. Good to explore car or Dolmus.

Some websites to explore too. These will have a more Turkish Feel I.O.Opinion. Akyaka (very Turkish Holiday resort) can be very busy as can everywhere in July and August.

Then just to annoy there is always Ovacik......

http://www.akyaka.com/               http://www.cavusbay.com        http://www.orhaniye.net/

http://www.datca.com.tr/neredekalinir.htm (needs web translator)

And Foca. never been August but it might be a good option, Good Turkish influence.

http://www.turkeycentral.com/foca/index.php
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:19:36 AM by ovacik2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf