Author Topic: Smaller Turkish Resort!  (Read 4773 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Smaller Turkish Resort!
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 17:25:25 PM »
May I ask what specifically you didn't like about Calis, that makes you want to go elsewhere.
Since he is looking for somewhere smaller and more traditional can we take a wild guess H, and suppose he thought it was rather large and non-traditional?

mkwhite, I can appreciate that, after enjoying your first visit to Turkey, you might feel adventurous enough to go slightly off the well-beaten track. A few years ago someone posed a question on here about which Calis restaurant served traditional Turkish food. As I distantly remember this stumped CB regulars and, through the hazy mists of memory, I think I read Scunner saying that "He had never heard of such a place". The poster , as I recall, was recommended to explore Fethiye - a larger place.

So, as you see, your question may not be all that easy to answer. "Small" may not be always be traditional (e.g. Kalkan is small but resolutely British) and "Traditional" may not have the bars you seek (I don't think that bars are really a traditional establishments in Turkey) and as soon as get really off the beaten track you will be lucky to find someone speaking English (how's your Turkish?). Nevertheless, I think people have given you some pretty good suggestions for places that might give you a quieter, rather more Turkish experience than Calis. If going to the Datcha peninsula you could go to Marmaris and catch a dolmus to the provincial capital, Mugla, on a Thursday to catch their market, have a sauna in the 12 century hamam and wander around the old part of town. Mugla is the "market town" for a large agricultural area, has lots of lokantas, and sees just sufficient European tourists so that quite a few people speak English and/or German.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Re: Smaller Turkish Resort!
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 23:01:59 PM »
yalikavak

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf