Author Topic: Breaking News - Prices of alcohol, petrol and tapu's go up from today  (Read 11290 times)

Offline Sus

Re: Breaking News - Prices of alcohol, petrol and tapu's go up from today
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 05:02:56 AM »
We've been considering, although not to seriously, selling our little place in Calis for the past year or two now.
I think perhaps we will now need to look more closely at what is best for us financially and stop allowing our hearts to rule our heads.

The thing to think about is what the price of property in the rest of the world is, Spain, Portugal, Italy and France are way higher then Turkey, we have a place in Spain and we find Turkey far cheaper to live and yearly expenses on our house are far less.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 10:51:44 AM »

So if a can of lager/beer costs 7 TL it will go up by 1.75 which yes it is a high increase at one time, but sod all anyone can do about it, but I would also say What Utter Nonsense to even state Egypt as being cheaper then Turkey as  a holiday destination when the mess Egypt is in at the moment who the hell would even go there.

Egypt has a booming AI sector, so there is no point challenging me about it - I don't run it.

You have totally ignored the point you made (wisely in my opinion as it was total rubbish). If you think a 25% hike in prices caused by increasing the tax on an item can be put down to inflation then you obviously have no grasp of economics whatsoever.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2012, 11:22:41 AM »
Although this is certainly bad news from a tourism perspective, I don't think it is quite as bad as some people are suggesting. The increase will surely be on the tax rate of items - not the total price. This would not make sense when an Efes may cost 15TL in Istanbul or 5TL in the Calis winter. Here is a news announcement from a Pakistani financial paper quoting the Turkish Government Official Gazette - unfortunately it is not interested in beer.

"The Official Gazette said the government has lifted the special consumption tax on most cars to 40 percent from 37 percent. The gasoline tax was raised by 15-16 percent and diesel fuel tax was increased by 23 percent, it said.

The tax on wine and the popular spirit raki was raised by 17 percent, the government's official publication said, while other types of alcohol also saw varying tax hikes".

http://www.brecorder.com/world/global-business-a-economy/81058-turkey-raises-autos-fuel-alcohol-taxes.html

Offline Sus

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 11:31:15 AM »

So if a can of lager/beer costs 7 TL it will go up by 1.75 which yes it is a high increase at one time, but sod all anyone can do about it, but I would also say What Utter Nonsense to even state Egypt as being cheaper then Turkey as  a holiday destination when the mess Egypt is in at the moment who the hell would even go there.

Egypt has a booming AI sector, so there is no point challenging me about it - I don't run it.

You have totally ignored the point you made (wisely in my opinion as it was total rubbish). If you think a 25% hike in prices caused by increasing the tax on an item can be put down to inflation then you obviously have no grasp of economics whatsoever.

There is no need to be rude in your reply, I could state that your post regarding Spain etc was a total load of rubbish, but the increase on Tax on alcohol and  tobacco is one sure way to make sure the economy grows, as we all know Brits and Scots like their drink and no matter what the price will still buy it.

These tax increases for 2012 were announced in the 2011 budget.

These increases mean that the prices of transport and essential food goods remains stable so at least that is good news for the lower paid Turkish families.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 11:41:39 AM »

These increases mean that the prices of transport and essential food goods remains stable so at least that is good news for the lower paid Turkish families.
Since the tax rate on diesel has been increased by 23%, adding to already very high fuel prices, the cost of transport will increase. To the extent that foods are transported any significant distance to the point of sale, then food prices will also increase. This will affect supermarkets in urban areas and, presumably, the household budgets of poorer families in those areas.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 11:43:55 AM »

There is no need to be rude in your reply, I could state that your post regarding Spain etc was a total load of rubbish

And of course your posts throughout your membership here have never been rude in the slightest...

Why is my post about Spain "a total load of rubbish"? Just saying something is rubbish is easy - it is helpful in debates to back up such empty remarks.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2012, 14:18:44 PM »
Well,

this is the result of an Islamist majority, having lived in many Moslem countries I feel qualified to say that! First we had higher tax, the age raised to 23, now we have price increases. This will probably be followed by a "license" you have to buy. Next will be an expensive license to sell. Then will come only allowed behind closed doors and not visible from outside. Then will come hours restrictions, this will be followed by a ban, Burkhas etc. Hopefully they will lose elections long before then!

I considered buying property in Turkey once, not now, I would only rent.

Meldrew

Offline welshbrickie

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2012, 14:26:19 PM »
when the price hikes start to affect the local bars and the tourists start to dwindle the prices will drop,spain and other eu countries have learnt,so will turkey, unfortunatly it takes time.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2012, 14:31:21 PM »
I realise my comments could be misconstrued as "anti Islamic", I was referring to the Government, which is predominantly Islamic and corrupt, as many will be aware half the senior military just been sentenced for plotting a Coup. Bit like in Germany in the 1930's, to remove all opposition. I do so hope Turkey does not descend into yet another Country that uses Religion as an excuse for absolute power and dictatorships!

It seems like the thin end to me   :) I jope I am wrong!

Sigh, Mustaf Kemal was one of the greatest men of the 20th century, so tragic to see all his good work being undone!

All this is of course all my opinion only

Meldrew

Offline Stan

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2012, 14:32:09 PM »
Why do you sign it " Meldrew " John ???   ;)  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf