Author Topic: What does this say about Turkish men?  (Read 2058 times)

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
What does this say about Turkish men?
« on: April 16, 2013, 14:23:40 PM »
Found this article on Hurriyet News and wondered what peoples thoughs were, especially women.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/domestic-violence-ok-sometimes--34-percent-turkish-men.aspx?pageID=238&nID=44974&NewsCatID=341

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: What does this say about Turkish men?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 14:35:41 PM »
It seems this is the first survey of men in respect of domestic violence. Surveys of women have regularly found similar results. Here is an example.

Milliyet, Monday, November 29, 2004
Survey: 40 percent of women approve of wife beating
  A survey conducted by Ankara's Hacettepe University has disclosed that 39.2 percent of Turkish women say that wife beating is justified. A total of 30.3 percent of working women hold a similar opinion.
  At a time when Amnesty International (AI) has launched a campaign in Turkey under the auspices of the United Nations with the intent of putting an end to domestic violence, the outlook of Turkish women concerning violence against women surprised human rights' defenders.
  The survey revealed that 29.1 percent of women said wife beating was justified if women talk back to angry husbands.
  Twenty-seven percent of women surveyed said wife beating is acceptable if wives are extravagant spenders.
  Twelve percent of women living in cities and 26.8 percent in rural areas said their husbands are within their rights in slapping their wives if they refuse to have sex.

Offline angela

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 15:06:37 PM »
Shocking, but there are obviously as many in this country, who would not voice it, but believe it is their right, otherwise we would have no need for battered wives refuges , and so many tragic stories in the papers day after day. I know there is a small minority of men who also suffer at the hands of their wives, but the level of violence against  women is horrific.

Offline nuttybird

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 16:32:31 PM »
I dont agree with DV at all, whether it be a Man attacking a woman or vice versa. It saddens me that 39.2% of Turkish women agree wife beating is justified, to me that shows that they know no different, which in this day and age is very sad.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 14:40:24 PM »
It would have been more interesting if they had carried out a poll of Turkish men, to get their thoughts .

Offline angela

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 14:57:13 PM »
I don't know that my blood pressure would take that!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 14:59:09 PM »
It would have been more interesting if they had carried out a poll of Turkish men, to get their thoughts .
They did, Gordon. See post #1.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf