Author Topic: Where will it all end ?  (Read 5238 times)

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
Where will it all end ?
« on: June 12, 2013, 07:55:49 AM »

Full time residents and indeed Turkish National members of CBF must have ‘learned’ opinions on the projected outcome of the Taksim Square protests (as a complete outsider who has only holidayed in Western Turkey for the past 10 years I haven’t got a clue where it will end) but I can’t see it dying down naturally

A crushing of the rebellion by the police and military ?

Deposition of the Government and military rule ?

An early election ? (there doesn’t seem to be a credible opposition as the number of seats in 2011 were split 341/112/71 and I’ve not heard the voice of the opposition since it all started.)

It would seem that the further east you go in Turkey the more support there will be for Erdogan’s ‘Islamist’ ways. (And we go on about the North South divide !!!!)

I’d be interested in hearing some ‘knowledgeable’ opinions.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Where will it all end ?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 07:57:31 AM »

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 08:17:34 AM »
An interesting article Jacqui - but what they want and what they get is likely to differ somewhat !!!  :(
It's an awful situation for all involved.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 10:15:43 AM »
I wouldn't claim to be "learned" on Turkish politics by any means but I have a feeling that the anti-Government sentiment will long continue and perhaps change tact. I can't see a victory for the opposition citizens on the streets of Istanbul and Ankara - this can always be dispersed if your police are harsh enough - and even if you regroup it is difficult to see how the downfall of the government is coming.

I would think changing to a more paralysing policy might be where it could head - this is NOT a handful of anarchists and a few whipped up youths with nothing better to do - it is a massive number of people who's numbers are being swelled every day by the events they see, such as the wholesale arrest of lawyers in Istanbul. The way forward when you have numbers on your side is maybe not to attack, it is to withdraw - and that could mean massive strikes affecting Turkey greatly.

Another notable thing is that Sultan Reg calls social networking such as Twitter 'evil' and 'dangerous'. Twitter is not dangerous or evil at all. Unless people being able to share truthful information makes you feel uneasy of course...

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 10:23:16 AM »
I agree Keith. I can't see him letting go of his powerful grip at all and maybe the opposition will have to change their direction. Strikes could be one way as they have the backing of many millions of people. The other thing that just might make him think and change is the international public. What they are seeing in Turkey is a democratic country allowing the police to brutally attack it's own citizens.

This is not supposed to be a dictatorship and I expect the Turkish people and the World will not forget this in a hurry.

Offline cef

• Prolific Member

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 12:42:54 PM »
Watched an interesting piece on BBC hard talk last night. The Turkish PM wants to stop abortions, does not want women to have caesarian sections and wants all couples to have three children. Think he needs to grow a smaller moustache under his nose and get a uniform.w :-[

Offline apollo

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 13:30:54 PM »
Kevin; The New Turkey by Chris Morris describes Turkey and the changes the country has been through up until about 2003.

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 13:32:28 PM »
Kevin; The New Turkey by Chris Morris describes Turkey and the changes the country has been through up until about 2003.
Thanks - I'll take a look   :)

Offline apollo

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 13:55:30 PM »
From what I have been told . The many of caesarian deliveries have been unnecessary, they were used to make life easier and to fit into the normal working day of the doctors and hospitals.

I understand that RTE wants them used only as a medical necessity and thus reduce costs to the health service.

The three children idea was suggested on a purely economics basis. A falling population is not conducive to a vibrant economy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf