Author Topic: Where will it all end ?  (Read 5237 times)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: Where will it all end ?
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 14:09:10 PM »
I shouldn't imagine he has many friends in the armed forces and I did wonder how many police/ secret service people he could call on in a major uprising as the protests appear to be nationwide.I just wish for everyone to stay safe.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 14:16:19 PM »
It may well be the case that the army stay loyal to avoid the top brass being subjected to the scenes we saw the other day with the lawyers in Istanbul being dragged into custody. But one thing armies tend to do is swap sides immediately it appears that the Government is losing grip.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 14:34:23 PM »
If they did go to prison they would find it an old boy's club. There are already 329 military officers in there as a consequence of the Ergenekon campaign.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 15:12:54 PM »
On another forum a member of the protest movement is keeping people up to date and asking that messages are shared to get round the media blackout in Turkey. This comment is wonderful.

He writes that Mr Mutlu the mayor of Istanbul warned yesterday that severe action would be taken against Gezi Park protestors and called on mothers to go and take their children home. Instead mothers went to the park and formed a human chain to protect their children. The expected attack did not take place. He comments "Mr Mutlu is now expected to call for grandmothers to go to the park and take the mothers home".

Offline amca

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 15:43:18 PM »
It may well be the case that the army stay loyal to avoid the top brass being subjected to the scenes we saw the other day with the lawyers in Istanbul being dragged into custody. But one thing armies tend to do is swap sides immediately it appears that the Government is losing grip.

An old favourite of mine........

An Egyptian General "I have always been loyal to President Nasser. I will always be loyal to him until it is not the time to be loyal."

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 19:39:37 PM »
We heard from Turkish friends that the P.M. had already imprisoned about 300 of the army top brass, key people, he wanted to make the army toothless.

Offline Marggie

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 20:48:46 PM »
So finally the threat of the army is being used. A line has been drawn and I wait with baited breath to see which side the army takes in all of this.

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 13:36:53 PM »
Some interesting developments & articles (imo), along with Ataturk's Address to the youth of Turkey (inc translation)

http://www.turkishlanguage.co.uk/hitap.htm  (Attaturk's Address - scroll down to read in English))

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/critical-eu-decision-about-turkey-postponed-to-june-24.aspx?pageID=238&nID=49150&NewsCatID=351

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stanley-weiss/the-megalomania-of-erdoan_b_3437350.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf