Author Topic: The wrong impression  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
The wrong impression
« on: June 13, 2013, 16:36:50 PM »
Do you also recall in your past, encountering dozens of people who scoffed at you going to Turkey - under the impression that it was an unjust place, where police and other government uniforms use brutality and ruleless aggressive actions over ordinary people? Many got that impression from watching Midnight Express.

We used to tell them it wasn't like that at all.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: The wrong impression
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 17:10:02 PM »
Fair to say that I have had more than a dozen e-mails from friends in the UK since the troubles in Taksim, asking what is happening and concerned about us.  I was able to explain the situation and that we were fine, but I did have two people who came back to me with what I would describe as a little triumphant e-mails that were little more than 'I told you so' based on the view that they have had on Turkey since the seventies.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 17:34:15 PM »
I know what you mean. We had a few people asking "why Turkey". However what I've seen of those Turkish people we know almost all seem to be in favour of the protestors.

We always said we would not mortgage ourself to the hilt in order to buy and that if it went belly up we would not be destitute. It's a long long way from that happening however and we have no worries about visiting Calis later this month.

It might make others think twice before they buy though - especially if the country moves more towards Islam.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 17:37:58 PM »
Stoop - agree totally with everything you have said.

Ps Would also feel the same level of concern about moving to Leeds   ;)

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 20:07:23 PM »
I know what you mean. We had a few people asking "why Turkey". However what I've seen of those Turkish people we know almost all seem to be in favour of the protestors.

We always said we would not mortgage ourself to the hilt in order to buy and that if it went belly up we would not be destitute. It's a long long way from that happening however and we have no worries about visiting Calis later this month.

It might make others think twice before they buy though - especially if the country moves more towards Islam.

We live near Bolton and Blackburn. Guess what? The weathers better in Turkey.I rest my case.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 20:34:32 PM »
For those who didn't get my point...

Many of us have spent years trying to show that Turkey isn't anything like the country in the film. Back to square one then.

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 05:13:35 AM »
Spot on keith !! When I  watched the film way back I  had not visited Turkey at all, and I  was put off visiting Turkey.   My eldest son way back in 2003 was really unwilling to join us for a weeks holiday out here .... all because of the impact the movie `Midnight Express` had on him... he wasnt in to drugs of course ..it was purely  and only the distasteful impression he got ( and thousands more) of Turkey in general. We finally persuaded him to join us and he did eventually and of course had an amazing time and fell in love with the country, the area,the turkish humour, the way of life, and the  people`s friendliness like we all did.
Midnight Express did massive damage to turkish tourism... ( I  noted that in 2008 I  think it was, the director or producer guy of the film , finally, personally and publicly apologised to the turkish government for the image it portrayed of Turkey )
Yes keith, and now with the recent events....sadly  its all back to square 1   :'(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf