Author Topic: Another stupid question on a Turkish forum.  (Read 3128 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Another stupid question on a Turkish forum.
« on: January 05, 2014, 14:22:39 PM »
Copied and pasted from a certain travel related website.

Racism in Istanbul !

We're travelling for the first time to this lovely city, and I'm just curious (as being of Asian heritage) wheter there is any rascism there? Does anyone have any negative experiences with this?

Of course I've posted an answer.  :)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Another stupid question on a Turkish forum.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 14:43:36 PM »
In Istanbul for obvious (S.E.) Asians...  plenty.  Level does depend on the area, but still unpleasant to witness.

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 14:51:25 PM »
I'm sure the chap who asked the question will have been appeciative of a thoughtful answer from such a renowned expert on racism as KKOB.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 15:08:09 PM »
Still wondering why this is a stupid question? We have no way of knowing how much racism this guy has experienced in his life.. Never having been to Istanbul I feel that he had the right to ask.. When we made the decision to buy and then live in Turkey we did wonder how if The local Turkish community would accept us... Which of course they did.. What is a "stupid" question to some experts on these forums aren't to others but then again we aren't all so intelligent as to know everything about every subject..

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 15:16:39 PM »
Still wondering why this is a stupid question?

Its not a stupid question, maybe this should be retitled "Another stupid posting on a Turkish forum because being pedantic makes everyone think I'm clever and witty".

JF

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 15:45:25 PM »
Sorry, perhaps ‘stupid’ was the wrong word to use. Maybe I should have used ‘ridiculous’.

I found it very funny that someone of ‘Asian Heritage’ would be worried about encountering racism in probably the most cosmopolitan city in the world.

Even as a white-caucasian who regularly experiences racism whilst at work in the UK, I’ve never experienced it whilst visiting or living in Turkey.

If you want to see my reply, together with others on the site the link is

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k7083347-Rascism_in_Istanbul-Istanbul.html

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 16:47:00 PM »
And all answers are from what appear to be persons of non-Asian (S.E. or otherwise) extraction...

Maybe you don't know Turkey, and Turks, as well as you think you do... and as far as Istanbul being "probably the most cosmopolitan city in the world", just because people from different countries (or races) reside there does not mean to say they live in harmony. 

Racism is evident on a daily basis in Turkey - ask a Kurd if there isn't an issue with racism in Turkey? 

Indians (and Pakistanis & Bangladeshis) are often treated badly - this I've observed first hand when out with an Indian friend who was a consulting engineer on the Marmaray Project.

I suspect you have experienced racism in Turkey - you simply haven't recognised it for what it is.

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 17:03:35 PM »
Racism against British...are you saying there is none, KKOB?

I recall the treatment of Indians, Bangladeshis, Filipinos etc during my visits to the UAE and it took my breath away - the horrific way these people were worked, herded up and transported in livestock trucks and paid a pittance. That was Asian on Asian and had anyone from those countries worked in Abu Dhabi or Dubai at any time, they'd be quite right to ask how they might be treated when travelling - even to Asian countries.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 17:08:39 PM »
Oh I've experienced it John, but as I intimated in my reply, looking Asian shouldn't present a problem for a visitor to Istanbul.

I also know many Kurds and know of some of the problems that they face in Turkey. They suffer 'racism' just as badly as as those that suffer 'cityism' because they're from Izmir, Konya, Fethiye etc. For instance we were always very surprised at how much people from Kaya despise people from Fethiye. Now whether or not that's racism, villageism or just plain mis-paced hatred brought about by jealousy, I haven't got a clue.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 17:10:22 PM »
Racism against British...are you saying there is none, KKOB?

No, I'm saying the complete opposite. Whether it's positive or negative, there will always be racism, tribalism, villageism etc etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf