Author Topic: Travel FX... No rates for Lira  (Read 7233 times)

Offline jacqtay

Travel FX... No rates for Lira
« on: May 07, 2014, 12:48:48 PM »
As it says... they have removed rates for the lira from the website, I tend to check every day or two just to make sure the rate hasn't dropped drastically ( every penny/ lira counts) and today it seems they have removed the lira altogether , no sign of it on the main webpage or the best price promise page http://affiliate.travelfx.co.uk/BestPricePromise/29/index.php , seems rather odd or do they know something I/we don't?.
I tried calling them twice but they just hang up after a few rings. I cant think why they would stop selling Lira  ??? and I have been using them for the past 3 years with usually the best rates to be had in the uk  :-\

Offline jacqtay

Re: Travel FX... No rates for Lira
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 13:36:41 PM »
* regarding Travel FX

On their facebook page - we are struggling to source Turkish Lira after the Turkish Central Banks recent actions that are limiting supply.

Oh well then  :(

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 13:40:55 PM »
They may have caught a cold when the lira was high, losing 1000's,  maybe this stability of the currency has made them more cautious.

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 14:24:40 PM »
Plenty of lira in Cambridge today, Tesco, M&S,  no problems, not a wonderful rate.  We have plenty to go on with, aiming to get more when we arrive in calis at the end of the month.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 14:34:42 PM »
The main Travel FX site is quoting "today's price" as 3.3 to the £ which is a clip of 7.5% off current market rates and which strikes me as a rather hefty charge for FX.

http://www.travelfx.co.uk/viewrates.php?currency=Turkish+Lira

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 15:12:35 PM »
Plenty of lira in Cambridge today, Tesco, M&S,  no problems, not a wonderful rate.

Are you sure?  M&S stopped selling Turkish Lira online a wee while ago and (now) don't stock it in most of the branches and Tesco generally only do it to order.  Thomas Cook also have issues with obtaining actual Lira's, its by order only unless the branch happens to have some.  Everyone will quote you a rate, but whether they have the physical currency is another thing.

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 15:23:01 PM »

Offline jacqtay

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 15:37:58 PM »
The main Travel FX site is quoting "today's price" as 3.3 to the £ which is a clip of 7.5% off current market rates and which strikes me as a rather hefty charge for FX.

http://www.travelfx.co.uk/viewrates.php?currency=Turkish+Lira

They did quote lira at roughly 9am today when I first looked on the link I gave above  and it was 3.4576 iirc , 3.3000 seems very low for TFX and even low by most high street providers.

Offline jacqtay

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 15:39:18 PM »
Plenty of lira in Cambridge today, Tesco, M&S,  no problems, not a wonderful rate.

Are you sure?  M&S stopped selling Turkish Lira online a wee while ago and (now) don't stock it in most of the branches and Tesco generally only do it to order.  Thomas Cook also have issues with obtaining actual Lira's, its by order only unless the branch happens to have some.  Everyone will quote you a rate, but whether they have the physical currency is another thing.

JF
Turkish Lira not quoted on the M&S website.

http://bank.marksandspencer.com/banking/travel-money/overview/#currency-exchange-rates

Hmmm... the plot thickens ...... lol.

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 16:31:37 PM »
Still on the board at Tesco Bar Hill today as of 1 hour ago 3.45

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf