Author Topic: Turkish mine disaster, over 200 killed.  (Read 3030 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Turkish mine disaster, over 200 killed.
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 17:27:40 PM »
This is a horrible disaster as mining accidents are. It is the top news story in the UK at the moment and the news includes Erdogan's insensitive comments and the - alleged - arrests of those bereaved that protested his speech (see Eric's link). My first thoughts are for the victims and their family and friends. But my second thoughts concern RTE's increasingly tenuous grasp on reality and where this will lead Turkey.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 17:38:52 PM »
Latest news is that 245died and 450 have been rescued but hopes are fading for the over 100 men still down there... Erdogan has gone back in history to explain that In England in 1836 there were over 200 killed and also in the 1800's even larger numbers.. Apaprantly America have an even worse record.. WTF that has to do with this disaster God alone only knows... Can the man ever open his mouth without putting his size 9's in it??

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 17:39:16 PM »
This large number of deaths in another large mining disaster suggests that Turkey is not just behind the rest of the world in terms of safety management, but another example of Turkish rhetoric masking a very different situation. 

There was a piece on this on the Jeremy Vine Show on Radio 2 today. One of those that he interviewed was a Yorkshireman who had actually worked at the mine in Turkey. His view was that although the level of safety wasn't quite as good as perhaps it could have been compared to the UK, the accident could have happened at any mine in the world and the consequences would / could have been the same.

Offline Eric

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 18:33:09 PM »
More reports on RTE's insensitivity;

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/video-the-moment-pm-erdogan-was-booed-and-whistled.aspx?pageID=238&nID=66482&NewsCatID=338

Some amazing quotes;  " work accidents took place in every field of labor including coal mines, so "nobody should be surprised" when accidents happen."

And; ... he warned people not to be taken with extreme groups who may want to exploit this accident in order to harm “the country’s unity and integrity.”

"In late April, main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) Manisa deputy Özgür Özel filed a motion in which he asked for a parliamentary inquiry into deadly accidents in the coal mines in Soma. The motion was rejected by votes from the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) who holds the majority at Parliament.

Another reporter recalled the motion and asked Erdoğan to comment on the issue.
In response, Erdoğan argued that only the title of the motion was related to Soma and it actually aimed at diverting the agenda of the Parliament in a bid to hamper the AKP government’s activities."

I suppose this will be blamed on the "parallel state" soon.  Disgraceful.   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf