Author Topic: What a difference a day makes...  (Read 6230 times)

Offline scorcher

Re: What a difference a day makes...
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 17:55:28 PM »
And can you blame them in the circumstances ?

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 00:00:56 AM »
"lets face it, the Polis only do as they are told"

I seem to remember some famous war crimes trials held in Nuremberg some years back when a bunch of Nazi's tried to use that as a defence.  The Polis who carry out these atrocious acts have a choice not to do it.  They are just criminal thugs!
"lets face it, the Polis only do as they are told"

Yes and some of them seem to enjoy it too.  Not an exclusive phenomenon to Turkey, remember Orgreave, Wapping and of course the SPG in the 70s.

It wasn't a defence, it was a statement of fact.  Under the current regime, the Polis do as they are told - as do many prosecutors and members of the judiciary.  Fortunately, there are still some members of the judiciary who have the stones to stand up to the government, its just a pity there are no senior Polis officers left who would/could do the same.

JF
The point I tried to get across John (unsuccessfully it would seem) was that what we have seen taking place across Turkey over the last year was not simply the actions of a disciplined police force following orders -no matter how unlawful- but also the undisiciplined, but determined efforts, of a significant number of Polis and other security thugs relishing the opportunity to violently and indiscriminately attack citizens that they should be protecting.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 00:05:30 AM »
I see reply with quote is as popular as ever :(

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 12:12:21 PM »
The point I tried to get across John (unsuccessfully it would seem) was that what we have seen taking place across Turkey over the last year was not simply the actions of a disciplined police force following orders -no matter how unlawful- but also the undisiciplined, but determined efforts, of a significant number of Polis and other security thugs relishing the opportunity to violently and indiscriminately attack citizens that they should be protecting.

With hindsight I probably shouldn't have quoted your reply. 

You don't have to make the point, at least not to me, that elements of the Polis (and AK Party activists acting with the full authority of Polis Chief Hüseyin Çapkın last year and subsequently under Selami Altınok ) take a great delight in assaulting their fellow citizens whenever the opportunity arises.  Be it with CS gas, baton rounds, water cannon or the more basic "big stick" or baton, it matters not when the blood lust comes to the fore, these guys just love it.  You dont need a Gezi type scenario to see it exhibited, I've seen first hand on more than one occasion just how brutal some Polis can be.

Incidentally, there was a wonderful quote recently - when asked about the weekend, Istanbul Polis Chief Selami Altınok stated "it had been a nice day without trouble".  Where the phuck was he, on a day out in Buyukada maybe?

It also must be pointed out that within the Polis these guys are a minority.  Much of the violent behaviour exhibited by the Polis is down to a lack of training - they find themselves being put in a situation they've been neither trained nor prepared for.  Often, I suspect, their actions/reactions are more down to fear and inexperience than anything else.

JF

Offline incir

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 11:37:48 AM »
The polis in uniform are one thing - it's the plain clothes ones - are they under cover polis or paramilitaries I wonder.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf