Author Topic: Keep Iztuzu beaches Dalyan for the turtles and stop privatisation for profit!  (Read 3045 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
The beautiful Iztuzu beach home to the turtles has been privatised. Many of us have taken the boat along the beautiful stretches of water from Dalyan to Iztuzu (turtle) beach.

It was already saved once before from development for the turtles with help from Prince Charles and David Bellamy. Please sign the petition http://chn.ge/SW9blD

Briefly what the petition says is as follows:

We would like to Ortaca Municipality which has taken over from Dalyan Municipality to run Iztuzu Beach.

Dalyan local people and the public have not been informed that the Ortaca Municipality will no longer run the facilities on the beach and that both of the beaches have been secured without being legally tendered by private companies.

We would like this illegal tender to be cancelled and we would like Ortaca Municipality to run the beaches.

This is what the local campaigners are saying:

If you'd like Iztuzu beach to remain untouched and the beach income to be spent for the conservation of the area and the well-being of Dalyan and all its residents, which of the two would you prefer to run this protected beach with no development allowed?

(a) The local municipality

(b) A private company whose shareholders build, sell and rent villas, sell carpets and tours, and one owns a major media company in UK?

If you care, please sign & share the petition @ http://chn.ge/SW9blD

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Incidentally Ölüdeniz beach has also been awarded to a private concern!

This means the money that had been earmarked from the renting of sun beds and umbrellas (that has in the past few years been managed by MELSA who are part of the Muğla Vağlilik) will not be used for infrastructure improvements such as a discharge for underground water and sufficient drinking water as recently agreed. Instead profits will go to the private company.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
signed

Offline rusty

• Sunset Beach
  • Newly Registered
Signed   :)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Unfortunately, the way these moves have been explained to me is that it is more political payback - and don't expect them to be the last.    If there is a "u turn" on either, then it will be as a result of more shady deals done in Ankara.

No harm in voicing an opinion though, part of at least one deal includes outside (of TR) investment who may take on board local opinion more than some AK party conglomerate and decide the deal is not for them.

JF

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Thank you Anne and Rusty for signing the petition.

Good news for now! There has been a "stay of execution" on the privatisation of Iztuzu Beach thanks to the efforts of local campaigners and those that took the time to sign and share the petition.

If you haven't signed the petition yet please do to lend your support to save the eco beaches of Dalyan for the turtles. It could make all the difference.

http://chn.ge/SW9blD

Turkish news report on the current state of play.

http://t24.com.tr/haber/iztuzu-plaji-icin-yurutmeyi-durdurma-karari-verildi,262141

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
I think I signed the petition, but as the form was in Turkish and I only know a dozen words, it would be more luck than judgement!!

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
There is a brief translation in English on what the petition was for after the Turkish text and I believe that if anyone else wants to sign if you scroll right to the bottom of the page you will see the option to change the petition bit where you sign to English.

Thanks for signing Sheila   :)

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Signed

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf