Author Topic: internet  (Read 3494 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: internet
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 21:39:36 PM »
Do you know how every financial organisation operates its security policies and practices, highly unlikely. 

Why is it highly unlikely?  Part of my job to ensure our staff (Tier 1 Turkish law firm) can access financial information wherever they are in the world.  From the Borsa to .gov.tr sites with every financial institution and data provider you can think of in between.  Its what i do, although I will concede we don't use KamelKoc very often...

When a financial organisation wishes to restrict access to certain users they rarely do it by RIR (Regional Internet Registries) or as you described it as from a foreign IP address.  Its simply not effective due to the ease with which one can hide/alter an IP address.  Media companies are the main users of this type of block as it often satisfies copyright holders who want phased regional distribution.  We have a few sites that do restrict access to the firms IP address, in these cases when out of the office the users have to connect via our private VPN.

JF

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 07:33:07 AM »
Thanks for the experience update, which only goes to demonstrate that the answer is probably more nuanced, rather than a simple correct or incorrect. After all in life in general do we not steer clear of absolutism and always being right and others wrong.  Which is how Reg Erdogoan, and men of his ilk, see and interpret the world.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 08:37:32 AM »
We've been having the opposite problem. Having to use VPN to open most pages here in Turkey.
Things like online banking  UK and Turkish banks have been almost impossible, where you put your password in was taking about 10 seconds wait to enter each digit.
But with VPN on its normal speed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf