Author Topic: The boys with weighing scales; what do you think?  (Read 9630 times)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Re: The boys with weighing scales; what do you think?
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 15:33:40 PM »
Im pretty certain the Calis boys are not Kurdish and definately don't look under any threat of being beaten, they never pressure anyone and always smiling and joking with us.

Offline DianaJ

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 16:12:27 PM »
We spoke to Mustafa and Hassan a number of times when we were in calis in the last few weeks, came across as nice boys not only did they get money off us for guessing our weight but also beat us at a few games of pool as well.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 16:58:26 PM »
Little blighter guessed mine to within 1 kilogram.

Feel free to see if you can match him  :)

Offline Marggie

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 18:00:33 PM »
They always get it right, it would be good if they would just lie to us women. Don't normally get weighed just give them a few bob.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 19:47:08 PM »
Tinks, It was Savas, at Georges that told me they were Kurds.  I had no reason to doubt him, however, I will mention this to him next time we are over.

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 20:27:57 PM »
According to the local news, a couple of days ago 14 "beggars" were arrested by the police. 8 of them were children. I have no idea what happened to them.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 21:54:10 PM »
Nichola thanks for drawing out this important issue, it needs to be stopped.

You've got to be cruel to be kind and get this child labour exploitation stopped.  By firstly politely declining the service, advising the restaurant or bar owner that they are allowing the exploitation of children by allowing these children onto their premises, and they should stop it. Telling other people about this, and encourage them to stop giving them money.  If necessary then advise the Polis/Zabatta or whoever and ask them to try to stop it. When the money stops, so will this particular exploitation of vulnerable children.

And for those of you too tempted to give the money across because it is all so sad, then salve your conscious by making a donation to the many charities that operate in the UK and across the world to eradicate the exploitation of child slavery.

BTW Nicohla that's the second time this week I have praised your contribution, you must owe me a beer by now   ;)   ;) ;D ;D

Offline makemwonder

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 23:32:25 PM »
I have always found Mustafa and Hassan to be very well mannered never rude whether you get weighed or not, they always speak to me when they pass and I have never known them to be rude, I have also heard they are related to Hagi in Fethiye, some one once told me that Echo used to keep their money safe for them when they had accrued so much in a day as they had been robbed before by older Gypsy boys. personally I don't mind them they are so polite unlike another a few years back who was even frightening to look at, he was like Chucky but dark skinned and sort of golden brown tight curly hair and those wall eyes normally seen in some dogs. he would stand at the end of your table and stare at you then just simply demand " LIRE " and offering nothing in return he was the scariest looking kid Ive ever laid eyes on. 

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 23:40:46 PM »

And for those of you too tempted to give the money across because it is all so sad, then salve your conscious by making a donation to the many charities that operate in the UK and across the world to eradicate the exploitation of child slavery.

Or indeed local charities such as Embrace and 3Cs who may not be working to eradicate child slavery but are making a real difference to the lives of countless children growing up in the Fethiye area.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 10:23:30 AM »
I was always eager to give to beggars and used the premise of 'salve my conscience by giving to one today and I've done my bit for today'. However, I then learned from a senior policeman in Kashmir, how much organised business was at the root of begging. He is a member of a committee that has a global overview of this problem, and the world over, children and the disabled are seen as valuable revenue earners.

My sons were here a few weeks ago with 5 of their friends for a football holiday during the World Cup and nearly got themselves into a spot of bother in Olu Deniz when they witnessed one of the weighing scale boys being physically abused. They went to the boy's rescue, nearly ending up in a fight with the abusers until the bar staff also came to the boy's aid. My sons said the boy was genuinely scared and they wanted to call the Police but the boy seemed even more terrified at that prospect. The bar staff told my sons the boys 'worked for someone in Fethiye'.

Bit of a mixed response here but fairly interesting, specially the bit about the ladies in the market place.: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312737-i9292-k6646716-o30-Police_and_the_weighing_boys-Oludeniz_Mugla_Province_Turkish_Aegean_Coast.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf