Author Topic: The boys with weighing scales; what do you think?  (Read 9629 times)

Offline Menthol

Re: The boys with weighing scales; what do you think?
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 10:31:22 AM »
And going back to your dilemma, Nichola. My opinion is that you should protect your business. I have seen the boys make their way to your restaurant when I have eaten there at lunch time and be offered drinks and I smiled, knowing this was indicative of yours and Dogan's altruistic nature.

However, to protect your own revenue and to stop feeding the pimps, I believe you should discourage the boys from bothering your customers. Maybe tell them that if they want a drink they have to promise not to ask your customers. It is indeed a difficult situation.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 12:11:31 PM »
Crazy question I'm sure... But is there an equivalent of social services who could investigate in case they are being abused?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 12:57:58 PM »
Six years ago when we opened Mozaik there were no boys with weighing scales doing the rounds of restaurants to see if diners wanted to have their weight guessed for a fee, or if they were around they just hadn't discovered us yet!
Its the latter, there's been kids with scales for as long as I can remember in Fethiye.  There also used to be a few little girls who sold socks and hankerchiefs although I havent seen them for a few years now. 

I do not believe they are earning money for school books or their uniform, especially as many of them are actually "working" here during term time. I also am inclined to believe that they are possibly mistreated if they do not earn enough money and I dread to imagine what their living conditions here are like.
You're right, they are *not* earning money for school books etc, they are basically begging with the prop of a set of scales.  As far as I'm aware begging is illegal in Turkey therefore to get money you have to provide a service or goods, hence the tissue and pen sellers etc (in Istanbul, not so much down south).  As with using child beggars in most countries, it is organised and the children are often beaten and starved of food if they do not make enough money.

So my question is what should we do?
No easy answer there.  My opinion is that you should be completely selfish (maybe not the right word...) and protect your business first.  If you are getting complaints from customers then its time to do as many other restaurants do, tell them to phuk off whenever they approach your customers. 

It can be heartbreaking to see a child in this position, but you've spent years building up a successful business with a stellar reputation - head over heart situation I think.  The ones I suspect you're referring to can be a bunch of little sh1ts when someone refuses them money, unlike the kids I remember in Fethiye from a few years ago.

Street kids are a Turkey wide problem.  Some figures from a few years ago estimated there were over 30,000 living and begging in Istanbul alone.  Locally in Fethiye...  who knows what the figure is, probably more than we'd think at first thought given the areas affluence compared to other regions of Turkey.

But is there an equivalent of social services who could investigate in case they are being abused?
Not as you know it, it'd be the Polis who would investigate I think (not 100% sure though).

JF

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 10:43:48 AM »
Personally my biggest concern is for the children. Children as young as 6 or 7 in Fethiye, walking the streets all day and night when they should be playing and sleeping; not working.

If the “uncles” were to walk the streets with scales how many people would give them money. Not many I bet! They don’t look cute or sweet and most people won’t give money to someone for nothing. Giving money to the children is actually worse because it encourages and enables the “uncles” to continue to exploit them.

The children are used as a front to an illegal activity and support a black market economy and that is an abuse in itself. What about the children’s right to a childhood?

It is illegal for children to work here in Turkey; begging is also illegal too at any age but I suspect finding any social service type authorities to deal with it is nigh on impossible. If the children were orphaned then yes, but it is more likely their parents and other family members are supporting this activity, and also because they are not local, coming from out of town whether it is from Kars or Istanbul then it’s the Police or Zabita that would be involved.

Menthol’s story of the child in Ölüdeniz is telling, “the boy was genuinely scared and they wanted to call the Police but the boy seemed even more terrified at that prospect”.

As for what we should do, thank you to those that have responded to that.

We may well have to live with their visits and just work to keep them to a minimum and ensure they are at least polite. Doğan has again spoken to one of the older boys, no more than 10 years old, explaining that when guests come to their home would they tell them to FO and the people visiting here are guests in this country and should be accorded the same courtesy as guests in their home. If this doesn't work then we may involve the Zabita or Police.

It’s not clear to us that they understand what we are saying whether it’s to ask them to limit their visits or to be polite, or to be honest it’s more likely they are more scared of the people that pimp them than they are of us and we don’t actually want to be challengers for that position! At the end of the day it is not their fault; they are victims first and last.

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 10:54:45 AM »
I totally agree Nichola but a difficult balance to acheive. I have over the years noticed an increase in this type of "begging" and it can be somewhat off putting when you are having a nice intimate meal. Being approached once most people can deal with but numerous times is a pain.

I wish you luck moving forward but not easy.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 13:04:01 PM »
All over the world people are being told not to give these kids money on the streets as it just encourages them and is keeping them out of school etc. so is not helping them one little bit. I think the answer nowadays is to give them absolutely nothing.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 13:11:13 PM »
All over the world people are being told not to give these kids money on the streets as it just encourages them and is keeping them out of school etc. so is not helping them one little bit. I think the answer nowadays is to give them absolutely nothing.

That is all well and good and I do agree with you, but that will not help Nicola and Dogan at all.
They are already being rude to their customers when refused so in this instance I fear it will only make matters worse.  Something needs doing but what is anyone's guess

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 13:51:01 PM »
I must say, I feel for your situation Nicola. We haven't experienced any rudeness from the lads who operate in Calis, we say "no thanks" in Turkish and they go off to someone else. In your case perhaps every time they come round in force you could get your husband to get his phone out and pretend he is calling the Police, maybe they will get the message that they are not welcome.

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 18:18:34 PM »
I was asked by one of the boys when I was eating in the Mosaic if I wanted to get weighed , I told him No. An hour or so later after I'd eaten he was round again, my answer then was " If I didn't get weighed before I'd eaten I sure as hell don't want to get weighed afterwards!"  Not sure he understood, but anyway, he made his self scarce. A couple of hours later I was in the Kismet bar having a nightcap and he was heading towards me again, he recognised me and his face was a picture! He held his hands up before I had chance to chastise him again and said "okay lady, okay"  Since then I have warmed to him, and although I don't allow him to guess my weight I don't mind giving him a couple of lira, bless him.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf