Author Topic: Green Lanes - North London  (Read 1949 times)

Offline markcromp

Green Lanes - North London
« on: January 01, 2008, 12:01:37 PM »
Green Lanes it is the centre of the London Turkish community. Loads of Turkish grocers, restaurants and even a shop with fresh baklava made on the premises. I'd guess that within about 100 metres there's about ten restaurants, some more like proper restaurants, the others more like a simple lokanta. Some licensed, some not but have a few bottles on the QT, others just not. The best, in my opinion, is Diyarbakir - which as you'll know is the capital of Turkish Kurdistan, often people queing outside even in winter.
Meal for two, about £15. Usually the hoummous and cacik  and salad come free, if there are more of you, a couple more starters free. Lahmacun about £2. Most mains £5-8.
Just as Turkish as anything you'll get in a big Turkish city and more so than you'll get in the middle of a Turkish tourist area. Usually one or two of the staff even speak English. Very friendly, busy, bustling, if you can't get over to Turkey it's the nearest you'll get. Starter, a kebab or stew, a bowl of sutlac, and on the way back to the car, pick up a bag of figs and a box of warm baklava.
If you're unlucky, there'll even be some maniac Turkish driving while you're in the area for a final blast of authenticity.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf