Author Topic: 6mths turkey/mths uk  (Read 2964 times)

Offline eldestblade

• Barnsley, UK
6mths turkey/mths uk
« on: February 16, 2008, 05:57:27 AM »
does anyone do this already?would like some information plz.do or can we pay national insurance for the 6mths we are in turkey,do we need to inform anyone. my husband is 50 and i am 49.we have a property in uk and turkey,on our return to the uk my husband will be returning back to work his company have has said there will be a job for him on our return ,which is very good of them,so his pension can be frozen with them  and opened up on our return,i think? any advice would be  8)welcome thanks carol/steve

Offline Stressed Eric

6mths turkey/mths uk
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 15:43:13 PM »
We've lived in Turkey for 3 years, declared ourselves non resident in the UK, but we still pay our NI quarterly via the internet, so I don't see any reason why you can't continue with your contributions whilst in Turkey. Your best bet is to speak to your tax office. They will send you the approriate forms to complete to continue with your voluntary contributions.

Offline rosie10

• CHRIS AND SUE SMITH
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 20:09:37 PM »
Can I ask why you have declared yourself non resident in the UK as I have not heard of this before and what does it mean?   We are relocating full time to Turkey this year and intended to keep an address in the UK (our daughters) and continue NI by way of direct debit from UK bank account.  We thought that if we keep a UK address we can at least keep up with our dentist and doctor in the UK.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
6mths turkey/mths uk
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 01:01:37 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by rosie10

Can I ask why you have declared yourself non resident in the UK as I have not heard of this before and what does it mean?   We are relocating full time to Turkey this year and intended to keep an address in the UK (our daughters) and continue NI by way of direct debit from UK bank account.  We thought that if we keep a UK address we can at least keep up with our dentist and doctor in the UK.

Rosie,

I'm not sure that's allowed. I'm sure some other expat will confirm this.

Offline ronzeus

6mths turkey/mths uk
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 12:43:18 PM »
Its not "allowed"by the uk government offically but most people do it as you say,by keeping a uk address.

Offline thebillet

6mths turkey/mths uk
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 21:12:12 PM »
You might be thinking of paying your NI to ensure you have built up enough contributions for your state pension. If so, it might be worth phoning 0845 60 60 265 and asking for a pension forecast. If you have 30 years of contributions then you have enough. The old level has now been reduced to 30 years.

Offline kevman

6mths turkey/mths uk
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 14:23:39 PM »
We were paying voluntary contributions having retired at 52 and 55 and were told as we had made 37 and 39yrs payments, to cancel the voluntary payments as we no longer needed to pay.We were also told we would not get a refund on any extra payment we made.We also have an English address and have access to a doctor but not dentist.A lot of things depend on what you have told people.The less said then people are not aware of your circumstances

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf