Author Topic: NOT Turkish words but mannerisums.  (Read 6992 times)

Offline Dippey

NOT Turkish words but mannerisums.
« on: January 12, 2005, 18:23:12 PM »
I picked up a few books about south and west Turkey and came across some "Ways to be a Local" from one of those "essential" guides.

When in Turkey:-
Shake hands and spend a few minutes making small talk before getting down to business.

Take off your shoes when entering a mosque or private dwelling.

Accept a second glass of tea if offered, to refuse implies that the first was substandard. (go on it won't kill you, put the EFES aside for another half n hour).

Women should cover thier heads and both sexes should cover shoulders and knees when entering a mosque (don't enter during prayer times).

Lift your head backwards to say no, nod down to for yes, shake it from side to side if you don't understand. (Therefore do not do head and neck stretching exercises whilst talking, they will end up more confused than you).

Do not point your finger, kiss or hug anyone of the opposite sex or blow your nose in public.(Ok, i understand the pointing, not to sure about the kiss n hug it seemed never ending when i was there, and blowing your nose - any ideas anyone??).

Never lose your temper or shout at anyone: to lose control is to lose respect. (now you're kidding me, our sales engineers in Istanbul go hammer and tongs at each other).

Turks are patriotic, don't be rude about or make fun of Turkey, Islam the Army or Ataturk. (That's a no-brainer). And for all those who wonder what Ataturk is about i shall enlighten you, so you don't insult that picture hanging everywhere.

Ataturk (Father of the Turks)was called Mustafa Kemal, yes him on the Bank Notes and pictures hanging in Official Buildings, he raised to a prominent leader in 1915 during the WW1 (after the Turkey Ottoman rule ended after 450 years (1909) and a brief rule by idealist nationals known as the Young Turks). Anyway, Ataturk (Kemal) became president of the new republic of Turkey and began reforming consistutions- equal rights, disestablishing religions, votes for women (hooray, bet he didn't have to have someone throw themselves under his racehorse). He ruled until his death in 1938.

Another useless fact the city of Catalhoyuk is established as the worlds second oldest city after Jericho, and were the first to create irrigation, domestic animals, and carpets.

Offline janet.gur

• Bolton, UK
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 23:03:51 PM »
Another interesting difference - you know when you want someone to come over, you gesture to them with your hand upwards, back of the hand to them - well Turkish people do it differently.  They gesture with their hands to the ground almost as if they are paddling through water one handed.  First time my husband did this I was sat in the car and he wanted me to come over to him.  I thought he was waving to me and just carried on sitting there!  

About blowing your nose in public - don't know why but it is considered extremely rude and bad manners so be warned.

Also don't insult or make fun of the Turkish flag. Turkish people view it differently to us and it very insulting to them.

Offline caz1230_1

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 10:15:47 AM »
When we went to buy our apartment the builder had a picture of an older gent behind him on the wall, we thought it was his dad, reading this forum it makes sense,also have seen loads of shoes outside houses(we do that anyway)but thanks for the tips keep them coming, could keep us out of trouble
caz

Offline Dippey

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 13:36:47 PM »

Inadvertently pointing or showing the sole of your shoe toward someone is an insult. Feet should be flat down.

It is considered impolite to smoke or eat while on a public street during Ramadam.

It's rude to cross your arms over your chest or having your hands in your pocket when conversing with someone.

Turkish women will not converse with a man in casual conversation until they have been formally introduced. (now you know why she was ignoring your advances).

The "O.K." circle made with the thumb and forefinger signifies homosexuality in their culture. (Are you thinking the same as me here, Scuba divers!?!)

Offline valentine

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 18:37:58 PM »
Thanks Dippey, it just goes to show how easy it is to inadvertently offend someone of a different culture! I'll take your tips on board (especially the OK circle don't want anyone getting the wrong idea!)
I also believe that defacing a bank note is punishable by prison because it has a picture of Ataturk on the front, although I don't know if thats true. We could do with a man of real stature and vision like Ataturk to sort this country out!

Offline caz1230_1

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 17:14:39 PM »
Hi Dippey
Thanks for the tips they are realy interesting how things can mean such different things in other countries
caz

Offline dfb57

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 17:49:35 PM »
What sort of idiots exist among British expats that prompts postings warning not to insult or make fun of the Turkish flag ,religion, army or Ataturk?  Perhaps they should stay in Britain

quote:
Originally posted by janet.gur

Another interesting difference - you know when you want someone to come over, you gesture to them with your hand upwards, back of the hand to them - well Turkish people do it differently.  They gesture with their hands to the ground almost as if they are paddling through water one handed.  First time my husband did this I was sat in the car and he wanted me to come over to him.  I thought he was waving to me and just carried on sitting there!  

About blowing your nose in public - don't know why but it is considered extremely rude and bad manners so be warned.

Also don't insult or make fun of the Turkish flag. Turkish people view it differently to us and it very insulting to them.

Offline Dippey

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 20:07:14 PM »
quote:
What sort of idiots exist among British expats that prompts postings warning not to insult or make fun of the Turkish flag ,religion, army or Ataturk? Perhaps they should stay in Britain

I think you've answered your own question there David, "an idiot", quite a few of them about. Most people do not have a clue who Ataturk is or what he did, or do not know the connection between the person on the bank notes and Ataturk.

Dipps

Offline shorty

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 11:56:30 AM »
The blowing your nose thing is mainly in restaurants.  My sister used to live in Istanbul and came to Gumbet to visit me and my son on hol there last year.  She is the noisiest nose blower I have ever known in my life and we were sitting in a restaurant when she produced a tissue, did her thousand decibel rampant elephant noise, then shrieked "Oh my God that's the rudest thing I could have done, you can't do it in restaurants".  She got the dirtiest looks (VERY well deserved) and we left as soon as possible afterwards.  I think this should be made law, if only to prevent my sister Fiona from terrifying animals and small children.

Offline dennisandrea

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 10:19:35 AM »
what about sneezing........................

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf