Author Topic: Driving a Turkish Car in Europe  (Read 3659 times)

Offline mikem

Driving a Turkish Car in Europe
« on: February 09, 2011, 10:41:26 AM »
Hi All, I have an idea to drive to some place cooler in Europe to avoid the hottest extreme of summer here. My (new-ish) car has MA plates and only the basic traffic insurance. Can anyone please tell me what exactly is required to do so in terms of insurance, carnet, etc...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 13:33:39 PM by sunnyd »

Offline Eric

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 11:12:07 AM »
All you need is a green card from your insurers.  You do not need a Carnet.

Offline mikem

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 12:14:23 PM »
Thanks Eric, That sounds too simple - I heard it was a major hassle (?)

Offline Eric

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 15:42:42 PM »
Nope, we did it last year.  Got to the border at Ipsala, all they asked for was the car documents.  He entered those onto his computer, stamped Fi's passport with a little car stamp (the car is in Fi's name) and off we went.  Coming back in they just checked the computer, overstamped the passport and we were back.  There are several people that we know have traveled in and out without needing a carnet. One person we know even asked the Customs Police in Fethiye if he needed a Carnet, the reply was "why? it is your car you can take it anywhere you like"  Friends went through Edirne at the same time as we went through Ipsala last year, they had a couple of hours hassle with the Turkish Customs Officer until they complained to the boss.  He showed the official a paragraph in an official book, the Customs Officer read it and then said OK and stamped their passport and off they went.

Our take on it is that as a Turkish citizen needs a permit to leave the country it stands to reason that if they want to leave in their own car it needs a permit too, which is the Carnet (a temp export license) We foreigners can come and go as we please so therefore our Turkish car can go with us.  As usual the officials who need to carry out laws or regulations don't know them.

So, no problems last year either for us or for friends and we will be doing the same this year.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 16:23:30 PM by Eric »

Offline mikem

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 17:43:33 PM »
Okey dokey. The officials not knowing the rules sounds about right. Haha. So, I'll just get the Green Card and off I go then. Thanks a lot Eric.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 19:28:03 PM »
Just be aware that you might confuse some of the border guards when crossing into certain countries.

When I entered Hungary in my Turkish registered car I went into the EU queue and as soon as the guard saw the Turkish plates he went for his gun. I showed my UK passport and he immediately calmed-down and waved me through.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 19:32:37 PM »
He must have had a holiday in Hisaronu

Offline sunnyd

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 21:20:42 PM »
ok, just to throw a spanner in the works.. so to speak...
I am a dual national (British and Turkish citizen), because of this my car is registered with Turkish plates (no ME, MA etc). So if I was to leave Turkey to travel to the UK and back in my car, would I need any other documents? (I don't need a visa (personally) to enter the UK).

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 06:53:55 AM »
No, you just need the normal vehicle-related documents that you'd take on any foreign trip. It might be worthwhile taking some photocopies of the documents and also a couple of passport sized photos too.

Offline ex-cheltenham lady

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 14:56:19 PM »
We were thinking of driving our car through Europe but was told that we needed to have a Residency Permit to do this.    Is this true? or can you drive the car in and out of Turkey on a Tourist Visa?  So many conflicting stories regarding this.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf