Author Topic: Licence V Insurance  (Read 4714 times)

Offline stokie

Licence V Insurance
« on: August 25, 2011, 19:46:49 PM »
I know this is a subject done to death but a recent incident where a friend has had an accident in his car and his insurance refused to pay out because he has a residency visa yet does not hold a Turkish License.  There are a lot of opinions on this subject but surely there is one law/rule.  Does anyone really know?
Do we need a translated licence or do we need a full Turkish licence before insurance companies will pay out?

Offline Eric

Licence V Insurance
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 19:57:01 PM »
Tourist visa = British license
Residence permit = Turkish translation of British license
Turkish Nationality = Turkish license.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Licence V Insurance
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 20:15:05 PM »
Didn't the insurance company ask him what licence he had when he purchased the insurance?

Offline kizkucuk

Licence V Insurance
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 20:55:10 PM »
My understanding is that if you are here continuously for over 6 months you have to have a Turkish licence.  I'm told they are easy to get - and that they don't expire when you are 70.  I had a problem in the UK with my UK licence when I visited earlier in the year - I gave the address on my Uk licence to the car hire company but they couldn't find me registered on their system in the end I had to give my turkish address which was ok.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Licence V Insurance
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 09:02:39 AM »
I only drive a scooter (100cc) - I have a full UK car & motorbike license. Once I get my residency in January wouldn't it be easier to just go and take my scooter test and thereby obtain a Turkish licence as opposed to messing about getting a translation which would probably cost more?

I cannot believe that the "locals" pay a fortune to take a motorcycle test? Does anyone know if I can do this and the process to apply?

Ian

Ps We have a driving school almost opposite where we live in Fethiye and it would appear the main requirement is to be able to: Start - Stop - Start - turn 180 degrees and Stop again - honest - that is it :D :D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:03:54 AM by Ian »

Offline cinders

Licence V Insurance
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 09:17:51 AM »
Ian, after seeing some car drivers here in Turkey I think that may be the same test as the scooter Stop, Start, (ignore red traffic light) and never indicate.  Reminds me of post on here a while age re -Turkish drivers!!!! :D C

Offline Diverbaz 1

Licence V Insurance
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 09:28:07 AM »

Ian if you have a full UK motorcycle license there is no need to take the test, you can get a Turkish license using that.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Licence V Insurance
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 10:42:14 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

it would appear the main requirement is to be able to: Start - Stop - Start - turn 180 degrees and Stop again - honest - that is it :D :D

You forgot use of the horn :D

Offline sunnyd

Licence V Insurance
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 11:04:10 AM »
If you are in Turkey for 6 months then you are required to have a Turkish driving license. It's fairly easy to do.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Licence V Insurance
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 11:15:59 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Diverbaz 1

Ian if you have a full UK motorcycle license there is no need to take the test, you can get a Turkish license using that.

Barry - that is what I always thought but I am not so sure now!
And if I am (supposed) to get my UK licence translated then I think it could be cheaper to do the test and be issued with a Turkish licence and then I am law abiding and have spent less lira???

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf