Author Topic: Telephone/Broadband Bills  (Read 717 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Telephone/Broadband Bills
« on: November 24, 2011, 10:11:49 AM »
I am very attentive to my bank accounts and move my Cash ISAs every tear when the "Introductory Bonus" runs out. I generally look to changing my gas and electricity providers every two or three years. But I admit that I let my telecomms account drift. Perhaps because I really dislike telephones and don't want to think about the damned things. So when my joint telephone/broadband bills started to drift upwards I ignored it for far too long. Until one month I had a bill for £83 and the next it was £79 and I thought: "This is bloody ridiculous".

I was with Virgin and had "Up to 10MG" broadband as well as landline. So I got a few quotes and found Plusnet to be the cheapest. But I was reluctant to leave Virgin since the broadband speeds I was getting were often far higher than 10MG, sometimes twice that level. So I phoned Virgin Customer Services and told them the Plusnet quote and said I was thinking of leaving. Immediately, and I mean without any pause to think, I was told I could offered a better deal. Their new joint rates, I was told, were much more competitive and I could have an unlimited calls package (leaving out 0800. 0845. etc.) to replace my Evenings and Weekend package at a much lower cost than I was currently paying. In addition I was entitled to a Loyalty Bonus because of my long-standing customer status (actually it would be more accurate to call it a Disloyalty Bonus, since it was only when I said I was thinking of going to Plusnet that it was offered to me). Further, since my line rental was paid in advance, the new lower rate meant I was due to some cashback as well. I agreed to this new package and the phone call was over.

This month I got my first full bill. It was £28.81. Rather better than c.£80 for exactly the same service from the same provider. Just from one, free, phonecall. Pity I didn't do it some years ago.

So, if you are finding your bills going up you could try this; I think you could even make up some "better deal" you had been offered - just think of something much less than you are paying and then halve it. You might find they match it!

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
Telephone/Broadband Bills
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 10:57:04 AM »
I have done exactly this with Virgin Media too, they will almost take a loss to keep your custom. My flat in the UK is rented out whilst I'm here in Calis, 20mg internet, basic phone with evenings/weekends free to any number (inc. 0800 [which are free anyway] & 0845 & [more importantly] 0870) but excluding the real premium rate stuff like 0906 etc & a basic tv package for £19.99 per month.

On a side note, if you can't get Virgin cable services then Plusnet are a superb isp, had many years of amazing customer focussed service from them, shame they couldn't match Virgin for speed due to my location away from the BT exchange.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf