Author Topic: Do UK TV's work in Turkey  (Read 4838 times)

Offline MartinB

Do UK TV's work in Turkey
« on: April 24, 2012, 14:01:35 PM »
Hi Everyone,

We are moving to Fethiye in early May (hopefully). Amongst the belongings we are shipping over are 4 fairly new TV's. Someone has told us not to bother with these as they will not work in Turkey.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case.

Many thanks

Martin

Offline philrose

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 14:10:42 PM »
They will work in Turkey, but you will probably be charged duty on them...

Offline Firo

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 14:30:59 PM »
As long as there is electric and the voltage are the same of course they will work....beware banderol tax on import though!

Offline martinp2502

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 16:22:46 PM »
The TVs will work fine but I'd check on the number you can bring in as I believe you can only bring in 2 items the same. You also can't bring in new so it will be a good idea to have receipts.

Our 42" TV cost about £150 to bring in which was worth it considering what we would have to pay for similar here. Prices seem to be getting closer to UK prices all the time so it may be worth checking costs here.

Who's your removal company because they should give you this info, bandroll tax etc?

I just checked one of my documents and it definitely says "only 2 pieces of electronic goods from each item" (translated only 2 TVs).

Offline MartinB

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 19:11:17 PM »
Thanks everyone for getting back to us.

Our shipping agents haven't said that there is a restriction on the number of TV's providing they are not new. They have given us a sheet with the inport tax for each item of electrical goods. Our big TV has a 116cm screen and the tax on that according to this sheet is 15 Euros so it will be a bit of a shock if we get a bill for £150.

Offline martinp2502

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 19:33:41 PM »
I wish you luck but I think you'll find 116cm screen is about 150 euros. These were from our move in October last year so I've no idea if things have changed. I would think it unlikely that Turkey would allow you to bring in unlimited TVs.

Offline MartinB

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 10:15:44 AM »
Thanks Martin,

Our shipping agents have given us a sheet exactly like the one you have cut and pasted above exept that the charges on ours are 10 times less so the 116 cm screen is 12 Euros.

We will try to confirm what has happened and get back to you.  MartinB

Offline MartinB

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 15:22:47 PM »
We also have a quad pack of telephone handsets. does anyone know if these will work.

Sorry to be a pain but thanks to anone who knows

MartinB

Offline kizkucuk

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 19:20:28 PM »
The telephone jacks here look the same but are a slightly different size - you can probably get someone to chnage them for you.     TVs def 150 euros for a big one - the tax is payable on things that receive a signal - so my CD/radio unit was 150 euros too but it was very new and had cost me a fortune so there wwas noway I was ;leaving it behind  :-)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 19:31:29 PM »
Many cordless phone sets available in the UK actually have the right connection for Europe (inc Turkey) and need a small adapter to make them larger for the standard BT (UK) plug, often included in the box, or two cables are supplied to cover UK/EU. Failing that - i.e. if you have a larger (BT) plug, an adapter the other way can be bought. The UK socket is about twice as wide as the one in Turkey.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf