Author Topic: Foreign Council ?  (Read 8473 times)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Foreign Council ?
« on: September 05, 2012, 12:58:24 PM »
This is in the suggestion stage at the moment and I have been asked by the foreign consulate to test the feelings of all ex-pats in the Fethiye area.

The suggestion is for a foreign council to be set up of about twenty foreign people and with one being present at main council meetings, the council should be made up of people representing all areas of Fethiye.

I personally thought it was a good idea, this should help bring to the attention of the local government of ex-pat problems in all aspects, what do you think?   :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 14:08:09 PM by tinkerman »

Offline turkishrod

• Always have an escape plan
Re: Foreign Council ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 15:22:04 PM »
I think in principal it is a very good idea Andy. With the number of foreign nationals now living within the area it makes sense to have a central point / chair through which sensible suggestions can be put forward.

Offline apollo

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 16:21:28 PM »
I think that it is a good idea. The important thing would be to concentrate on issues which the Belediye have  control. For example, the varying "contributions " different Muhtars charge to register with them.And to avoid issues which are imposed by central government  involving the law and national regulations.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 16:39:32 PM by apollo »

Offline turkishrod

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 16:27:25 PM »
yes, that's right - from memory we had something along these lines about 7 or 8 years ago. Unfortunately the meetings were attended by several people who had all sorts of ideas that could not be effected by the local council.

If I understand the concept of what Andy is saying here there would only be one actual representative at council meetings and this sounds more controlled and likely to work (hope I have that right Andy - no doubt you'll correct me otherwise LOL) .

Offline apollo

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 16:41:26 PM »
That is the way I read it. One person representing the foreign community at council meetings.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 18:00:27 PM by apollo »

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 17:01:34 PM »
That is correct sir!  :) one spokesman/woman putting wishes, views, concerns and ideas forward on behalf of the commitee and the community  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 17:14:34 PM »
Maybe the concerns of (say) the Russian community are far different to those of the British community. One foreign person may not easily represent foreigners in Fethiye. I suppose it's better to have it than not though...

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 18:02:49 PM »
yes I agree,maybe one from each of the main ex pat countries  would be a better idea

Offline turkishrod

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 18:15:13 PM »
it's a start Andy, needs thinking through perhaps but if the council are willing to accept the constructive views of foreign residents it could be of great benefit - has my vote !!

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 18:57:45 PM »
Yes as I said very early stages and a good time to put your ideas and comments in to get the foundations right.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf