Author Topic: Rules for Work & Business  (Read 2735 times)

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
Rules for Work & Business
« on: September 26, 2013, 10:27:52 AM »
I have read the other threads in this section but it sounds as though the rules may have changed so I thought I'd post our situation and see if anyone had any updates or wisdom to share as I'm not entirely sure how this all affects us. Official sources I've looked at are generally unclear.  :(

Mr WB and I are self-employed - technically a partnership. A chunk of our business already comes from overseas - we provide copywriting, proofreading & editing services for businesses who need to communicate with staff/customers/colleagues etc in English (UK & international). Guess the clue is in the user name.....  :D

Our plan is to phase out our PR & communications clients in the UK before we move; the overseas work will provide an income we can live on in Turkey and we'd seek to continue/expand that through current online marketing channels. We're not necessarily looking to target businesses in Turkey, although we reckon there will be those that can use our help, and we know our existing clients will stay with us - it really doesn't matter to them where we're based.

The business will continue to be registered in the UK, as we will keep an address here. There are also some enquiries we need to make around tax etc - our accountant says that we don't have to pay tax on income earned while we are outside the UK, so presumably we'd have to pay it in Turkey.

I guess my question is essentially this.... As self-employed people with an existing income that comes from overseas, how are we affected by/subject to working regulations etc in Turkey, and what limitations are there on seeking clients based there?

In addition, in the UK we teach people to dance salsa and run between 1-3 weekly classes throughout the year. We had thought about doing that over there in some way, maybe running classes over winter or whatever - but from the sounds of things, that wouldn't be permitted.

Any advice or information welcome! Thanks guys.   :)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Rules for Work & Business
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 12:04:52 PM »
If your business is registered in the UK, you invoice from the UK and pay UK tax on earnings then the most practical solution is to leave it as that.  In fact, the more you can invoice through the UK the better - the Turkish taxman is a vicious character who will take every penny they can squeeze from you with a variety of taxes that are unknown outside TR.  From an "official" perspective, the less you stick your head above the parapet the better, especially as far as your bank account is concerned!

As regards doing work in TR - you got a few options.  Start up a limited company, register as a limited liability partnership or simply do the work unregistered (with the obvious consequences if caught).   Unfortunately, with the first option you'll need to employ a set number of native Turks before you can apply for a Work Permit and with the second there are criteria set by the Ministry of Labour that you'll need to fulfil before you can obtain a WP (a fair few hoops to jump through but I know a couple of foreigners who've done it). 

Proofreading is one area where, if you're employed by someone else, getting a WP is a doddle so there may be a loophole in the limited company regulations that allows you to employ a foreigner without the set number of native Turks.  That's one for an accountant to answer.

You also have to bear in mind the sheer cost of simply operating a business in TR.  Accountants here don't do work on a "as required" basis and for a company or LL partnership you really need a local who knows how to deal with the taxman and his monthly demands for money.  I've never come across anyone who's managed to "do it all themselves".

With regard to "working regulations", there is no easy answer.  You can carry on working from home, on the internet, and as long as no-one knows you're doing it then you'll be fine...  until that EPK you were innocently talking to last week feels that they wish to carry out their civic duty (i.e. grass you up for working) and reports you to the authorities.   You'll then have a sh1tstorm of official attention which could end up with a) you being deported through to b) them maybe passing some proofreading work your way - and every scenario in between.

Good luck.

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 12:34:32 PM »
The British people who make pies and the like hush hush from home are all doing great. The British people who followed all the company, health and safety requirements and employment regulations were forced out of business long ago.

My reply is more "in a nutshell" than John's.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 15:08:25 PM »
Same here !  ;)

Offline WordBird

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 16:21:27 PM »
Ha ha, thanks guys!

Sounds as though the simplest way is to keep everything registered and official over here as JohnF says - effectively we'll still be UK-based business, albeit simplified, but we just happen to be sitting at a desk/table/balcony in Turkey while we're doing some work....   ;)

Really, really appreciate the advice.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 16:24:31 PM »
Exactly. Just be aware that internet connections in Turkey can be very fickle and if it's essential to your business you'll have to make allowances.

Offline WordBird

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 09:33:43 AM »
Exactly. Just be aware that internet connections in Turkey can be very fickle and if it's essential to your business you'll have to make allowances.

It is essential but flexible, if that makes sense - don't need 24/7 connectivity or anything.
Thanks for the info - something we need to consider.   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf