Author Topic: Tiyatro  (Read 3984 times)

Offline Menthol

Re: Tiyatro
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 13:11:46 PM »
He has quite strong feelings about Kayakoy, as do I, KKOB.

We went to view a stunning property there. Possibly the most beautifully designed and in the most gorgeous setting of all those we saw.

However, as the agent first drove us from Hisaronu into Kaya and Keciler, I felt an overwhelming feeling of sadness. No joke. At this point, it is very important to point out that I do not send 'an angel is watching over you' memes on Facebook or visit clairvoyants or generally have any truck with religion. I do get really strong vibes about places and people though. Not all the time but every now and then.

We both adored the house we viewed and despite it being smaller than we would have preferred, if it had been in a different area but with the same setting (I know that sounds contradictory), we would probably have put in an offer.

Jav reckons my strong feelings emanated from the history of the place, specifically the evacuation of the Greeks from Kayakoy. I honestly don't know. I certainly didn't have any 'visions' of people fleeing in fear through the forest or anything like that. (Admit it, you're all picturing me doing a Derek Acorah and talking to Sam about being possessed by a Giorgios Telekinesis or sommat).

Jav also thinks it's right that on the whole the Greek houses are left as they are and not re-developed out of respect for the Greeks that had to flee and to serve as a reminder of the human cost of conflict.

We both agree that the Kaya valley is one of the most beautiful places we have ever visited - on the high road out of Kaya going to Fethiye, we stopped for 10 mins to look down on the valley and take in the scene that Jav described as 'Nirvana'.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 13:58:11 PM »
I've still got mixed feelings about the houses. We lived there for 6 years and our house, which is rented out now, looks directly across the valley to the "Ghost Village". The colours of the village change through-out the day as the sun moves across and at times the village becomes invisible. It's a stunning sight to see before, during and after a storm.

Rather than just let the village crumble away I would have thought that the idea of preservation could at least have involved trying to keep a few dozen of the properties in good repair.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 15:55:04 PM »
Yes I agree - there are three options - renovate, leave or preserve. To leave it to crumble would be criminal, to recreate (restore) would be controversial and fighting history - preserve what remains must be favourite. Having a section restored might work and would be very interesting for us all to see. I imagine (possibly quite wrongly) a typical whitewashed Greek village, complete with bright blue wood and effects, flowers everywhere and very tidy.

I've mentioned it before that when the repatriation happened, the Greek occupants had to head down the hill to Fethiye (Makri) harbour - where boats waited to take them from Turkey. Many ladies did a spring clean, left everything sitting perfect, even locked up and headed for the bay. They wanted everything nice for when they came back once all this political nonsense had blown over.

Is there anything more sad than that :'(

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 16:23:36 PM »
I've heard that each of the house exteriors was painted in a different pastel colour. If you look closely when walking around more isolated parts of the village you can just make-out remnants of some of the colours used.

There's quite a bit of speculation about "hidden treasure" as many of the villagers are believed to have buried belongings before their departure. It's illegal though, to use a metal detector in the area.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 17:31:38 PM »
Maybe that's what I felt there; the sadness of a thousand women.

Offline tuzlachap

• AWAY TOO MUCH!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 19:02:24 PM »
As a now retired English Heritage Inspector of Works I have to agree that the current renovation is somewhat "plastic". By this I mean that the Belidye have resorted to the use of modern marble ( not granite) to replace the original stone that was taken away and is now I am sure lodged in various buildings around Paspatur.

Nevertheless, without the original stonework, what does one do? Of course taking stones from other monuments could make the place look realistic. But that would lead to the detriment of the original source of the stone ( Cadiander springs to mind). Replacing like stone for like stone would I am sure be really expensive.

So, what to do?

This has been the question that has plagued EH over ther years. For instance, I had a monument in the South West that consisted of stone and plaster. The stone survived well but the plaster, some dating back over 400 years was becoming weather worn. What to do??

we decided that the plaster, though historic would cost so much to treat over the coming years, that it would be best left to go. There were other monuments with examples of such plaster.

So, what about Fethiye (Telmessos) ancient theatre? Not unique in design, not one of a kind. nothing to distinguish it from myriad others around Turkey.

If it were my decision it would be. Let it go, by all means maintain the site, look after the information panels to let people know what it was.

Do not do as they are doing now as in remodelling it to appear as though it is, what it was. But it is not, it is nothing but a modern interpretation of a classical design.

Unless, and this is most important. the general public are told that this monument has been remodelled on the perceived interpretation of the ancient site plan and that very little of it is original.

I am sure that when finished, Fethiye Belidiye will use the theatre to stage cultural events, hopefully not political as I can see what mileage could be made by Mr RTE opening the place!!!!!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 19:10:19 PM »

to replace the original stone that was taken away and is now I am sure lodged in various buildings around Paspatur.

Even more tragic than that - following the 1957 earthquake, everything that collapsed was bulldozed into the sea and flattened. There's a very big chance that as you walk along the prom from the new square towards the Ece Saray (which was once a route that would require swimming costumes), that much of the missing amphitheatre is directly below your feet.

Offline tuzlachap

• AWAY TOO MUCH!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 20:24:24 PM »
Even more tragic than that - following the 1957 earthquake, everything that collapsed was bulldozed into the sea and flattened. There's a very big chance that as you walk along the prom from the new square towards the Ece Saray (which was once a route that would require swimming costumes), that much of the missing amphitheatre is directly below your feet.

I didn't know that. Even more reason for the case of "Do not disturb"!!

Can you imagine what disturbance there would be if the powers that be in Fethiye knew the location of the original stonework!!!!

TC  :o :o

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 20:31:52 PM »
I think it explains a lot how the sarcophagus near the Fethiye council buildings is 25-30 metres inland but started life about the same distance into the sea (see http://www.fethiye.co.uk/fethiye/old-fethiye.html )

Offline tuzlachap

• AWAY TOO MUCH!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 22:06:07 PM »
Now, if I had a hand in that???

Without a previous known location, I think where it is now, is right. At least it isn't under the Bay somewhere!!!!

TC

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf