Author Topic: Removals UK to Fethiye Avoiding Hungary, Serbia and Bulgaria  (Read 5638 times)

Offline The Author

• Newly Registered
Hi my wife and I will be moving out to Fethiye during late June  or early July. We've looked at shipping furniture over and the prices are...well lets just say expensive and full of hidden costs. Im looking at hiring a van and driving out but know that Serbia is flooded which means maybe travel to Italy then ferry to Greece and ferry again to Turkey. Has anybody taken this route? Any help with suggested route and indicative prices and time frame would be helpful. Many Thanks Dean  :)

Offline Eric

Re: Removals UK to Fethiye Avoiding Hungary, Serbia and Bulgaria
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 13:01:49 PM »
As far as I am aware there is no ferry from Greece to Turkey.  There used to be a ferry from Ancona to Turkey but that ceased sailing a few years back.  We regularly drive across Europe to and from the UK, and holidayspots.  The best route, though not the cheapest, is UK-France-Belgium-Germany-Austria-Italy- Ferry to Igouminister in Greece from either Venice or Ancona-Then overland to Turkey crossing the border at Ipsala.  Then Ipsala-Canakale-Izmir-Fethiye.

There are no tolls in Belgium, Germany or Austria (no tolls on the short bit of road from Calais to Belgium either) Austria you will have to buy a Vignette, usually from a garage near the border, its about 9 Euro's.  Then depending on your route, some of the tunnels in Austria have tolls on them too, again around 9 Euro's.  There are tolls on the Italian motorways, you can pay cash (Euro's) or credit/debit card.  There are tolls on the motorway linking Igouminister and Ipsala in Greece.  Its around 20 Euro's in total to cross Greece.  Watch out for the junction at Thesseloniki, if you have not done it before it can be tricky so keep your eye's peeled.  Not as bad as spaghetti junction though.  There is a toll on the motorway from Izmir to Ayden.  You need a pre paid sticker on your windscreen.  These can be bought at an office to the right of the toll gates or at the 1st services on the dual carraigeway when you leave Izmir, about 10 k outside.

Unless your hire van green card insurance covers Turkey (most of them don't) you will need to buy insurance for the van at the Turkish border.  Also be aware that if you have any electrical goods capable of receiving a TV signal you will have to pay a banderol tax on it.  Any mobile phones brought in will have to be registered at the tax office in Fethiye within 30 days of you entering Turkey.  But I'm sure you know those bits.

Good luck, we did the drive over in 2007 when we moved here and enjoyed the journey.

Offline The Author

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 13:29:04 PM »
Wow thank you for such a comprehensive reply  :) We're trying to quantify the cost of doing it ourselves, which would also be fun, versus a shipping company. Its mostly personal effects so no more than a transit van which makes shipping costs really expensive. Your post should help us button down the actual cost - thanks again Dean & Jill  :)

Offline Eric

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 13:37:59 PM »
Anything else I can help you with, just post and I will see what I can do.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 14:03:57 PM »
Serbia won't be flooded for ever. I've done the drive via Serbia a few times and it's a very straighforward route.

I would be very surprised if you managed to hire a vehicle from a company that will allow you to have the original V5c (Log Book) for the vehicle in your name. You'll need it to enter Turkey. In fact most hire companies don't allow foreign use and those few that do charge a premium for taking the vehicle abroad, let alone to Turkey.

It's worth considering hiring a man with a van and going as co-pilot or purchasing a vehicle to do the trip with and then selling it again on your return, or taking it out of Turkey and letting someone else continue back to the UK with it. (I assume you know that the vehicle is entered onto your passport when you enter Turkey and that you must accompany it out again? )

You could be looking at anything between £1,200 and £1,600 for the fuel for the return trip based on the running costs for a LWB Ford Transit / Mercedes Sprinter with a standard van body. If you use a Luton bodied vehicle your costs could go up to as much as £2,000.

If you're looking for a co-pilot for your own vehicle, I might be up for it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 14:17:05 PM by KKOB »

Offline Eric

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 14:35:42 PM »
Alan is correct, as usual. :D  If you want to go the overland route, which we have done as well a few times, then its Austria-Slovenia-Croatia-Serbia-Macedonia-Greece down to Thessaloniki then left onto the motorway to Ipsala.  You will need a vignette in Slovenia, just like Austria buy at the garages near the border, I can't remember the price.  there are tolls on the motorway roads in Croatia, Serbia and Macedonia but not a lot of money.  Macedonia we pay the tolls with our debit card because the toll is in Macedonian currency and is the equivalent of around £1 per toll but if you want to pay in  Euro's they will only take notes and the lowest note is of course 5 Euro's!  :P

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 14:51:31 PM »
I was thinking of doing that route myself this year or next but complications with the equipment I needed to buy (snow tyres - chains - various first aid kits - breakdown - even a self test breathalyzer in France made me think twice) - then I read of scams and backhanders to the police in the Balkans that really put me off as I am the sort to argue with a policeman rather than pay a backhander for having my satnav in the bottom right of the dashboard as opposed to the centre - yes - that was a real offence!

Also someone said they went through Serbia on the International Highway route to be safe - stopped at a service station for a bite to eat - came out - a litre of oil on the floor under their car - fortunately mechanic coming out of same service station to get in pick up truck stops - offers to help - tows to garage - £400 and 4 hours later they are back on route and find out that this is a scam carried out by friend of pick up truck driver who tips the oil under your car as soon as you leave it!

So now I know that KKOB will ride shotgun I might reconsider but only if he is very very cost effective!!

But seriously sounds like a better option to me if you don't know the route or the rules ?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 15:50:24 PM »
So now I know that KKOB will ride shotgun I might reconsider but only if he is very very cost effective!!

But seriously sounds like a better option to me if you don't know the route or the rules ?

Mrs KKOB will assure you that I'm extremely cost effective.

I had a British registered 4x4 pulling a car transporter trailer loaded with about 2 tonnes of our furniture and household goods on the last trip back from Turkey to the UK. The only border that I had a problem with was at the Turkish / Serbian where the Serbs insisted that the whole rig was x-rayed, partly unloaded and x-rayed again. I was then also x-rayed, strip-searched and had a full examination. I'm still waiting for the result of my prostate examination.    ;) When it was finally over and I was told I could carry-on I asked one of the guards why they went to such an extreme with me his answer was "It was your turn my friend".

However, I have still not paid any "fines" or "bribes" on any trips and I still regard it as a great adventure.

The "free windscreen wash" by a group of gypsies is the most frequent scam to watchout for at service areas. That's why it's always useful to carry a baseball bat or pickaxe handle in the vehicle  ;) and not to leave vehicles unattended at any time.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 16:11:59 PM »
I suspect The Author may not think it was a "serious offer" but as I believe you worked / work in logistics most of your life - I think it is - maybe you could confirm (at my request) without it being a sales pitch - just that you would discuss it - as I honestly believe that could be a good solution for some wanting to do it only once or for the first time?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 16:18:37 PM »
Yes, I'd definitely be willing to ride shotgun on a trip provided that it fitted in with my plans and whatever Mrs KKOB has planned for me.   :) I'm sure we could agree mutually beneficial terms.  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf