Author Topic: garden grass ?  (Read 3047 times)

Offline patch

garden grass ?
« on: May 26, 2014, 13:48:26 PM »
Struggling to maintain decent garden grass at our villa  - poor quality soil and costing a fortune to water - have tried usual feeding/manure
Any reasonably priced alternatives - can you get artificial grass ?
Garden quite large - front and rear gardens

Thanks

Offline retiredandlovingit

Re: garden grass ?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 15:33:15 PM »
Yes I know the feeling , as soon as it gets hot the grass starts to suffer and no matter how much water you give it, it never looks good. We had ours relaid with drought resistant grass but the following year we were back to square one, so now we have a Mediterranean garden and it looks so much better and lots less work.  Artificial grass is available but no idea on cost.

Offline AandP

• Uzumlu
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 15:56:39 PM »
 We opted for good quality artificial turf,  which we bought from Homeprof.  Not cheap at 50 tl  per square metre,  but it looks  fantastic and is very  practical.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 15:58:16 PM »
Spray the whole lot with weedkiller, cover it with a membrane and put down gravel.

Offline patch

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 16:30:15 PM »
wouldnt mind artificial turf , but would be too expensive as theres is a big area to cover . Dont want it all done in gravel as dont think it would look right . may have some gravel with some stepping stones . I there anyone recommended for this , we are in Ovacik and may see the man at the garden center (on the right hand side going towards Hisaranou )
 thanks

Offline Menthol

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 18:24:49 PM »
We're also in Ovacik and have been advised by our maintenance company not to bother with grass lawn as it requires far too much watering (we have no mains water, but a water depot) and still never looks very good.

We have a whole load of gravel covering the driveway at the back of our house, which we are planning to pave over (for car/playing volleyball/table tennis) so will probably shift the gravel from there to the 2 garden areas. I think it will look really pretty round the trees and with some flat 'stepping stones' to put planters on.

At the moment it is a dried out and cracked desert area punctuated with ant hills. Not the best look.

By the way the garden centre you refer to is run by Saffet - a very knowledgable and helpful guy - check out the terracotta pots at the rear of his premises.

Offline patch

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 19:47:55 PM »
@ menthol, yes ive dealt with him before , when i wanted sun loungers . May get him round to have a look . thanks

Offline quackers

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 21:44:33 PM »
Probably builders rubble under your soil causing the lack of good grass. We had our garden paved with flower borders much easier to manage.

Offline jackstee

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 10:53:10 AM »
What we did has turned out the perfect idea over the last 5 years.
We had the garden blocked over with a central place left open for flowers, a couple of open places along the boundry and lots of BIG pots.
We have flowers all year round and even plant veggies inbetween the flowers in the pots.
As they are 1 meter high (nearly) it also makes gardening a lot easier.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 19:30:04 PM »
Looks lovely, jackstee.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf